• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patent Shotgun Rifle Combined

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed are images of Joseph Childs patent a UK Gun Maker of a combined shotgun and rifle .The gun in question is from the 1840 period its shotgun bore is a 10 with a 32 or there about rifle barrel mount on the top , the hammers have detachable noses which are secured by a slotted bolt from the rear of the hammer nose. I purchased this gun many decades ago and have entered it in different forums maybe this one but I am not quite sure bot it may interest some members
P1010001.JPG
P1010006.JPG
P1010008.JPG
P1010009.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010004.JPG

Feltwad

Basically a muzzleloader drilling?
Interesting that such a small caliber rifle was paired with a relatively large bore shotgun gauge.
Yes it could be referred it to a drilling but been a small calibre it could have been used for small ground game such has rabbits, and its larger cousin the hare.
Feltwad

Yet another fine old gun Felt, Thanks for posting the pics... How does the hammer work too fire the rifle barrel? It appears to have another piece on the right cock, does it flip out of the way when firing the shotgun?

Thank you for posting this most unusual item.
Knowing little of English firearms, could it be this was possibly arook gun? I have only seen single barrel rook rifles but the rifle calibre seems right. I know its a very long shot but, Do we know anything about how it was marketed?

Back