• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patching Material for Patched Round Balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Cody new here. How do you find the pillow tickin thickness ? Or is it all kinda the same?
Do you have a micrometer or calipers?

What follows I have posted before. Have found that if you can find one, a radius anvil micrometer works even better than a standard micrometer for compressed measurements of patch material. As an example, with normal pressure on a regular micrometer, a piece of denim may measure about .022” thick, however, this is NOT the important measurement. What is important, at least in my opinion and experience, is the compressed thickness. In this case, about .0155”. Also very important is how consistent you measure that thickness. I use a micrometer with a radius anvil and apply normal torque pressure as I measure. The radius anvil allows for a small area to be easily compressed. A standard flat anvil micrometer works also, you just have to be a bit more careful with how you apply pressure to compress the fabric to get consistent readings, at least in my opinion. Hope the following photographs help explain.

upload_2019-9-25_11-20-43.jpeg

upload_2019-9-25_11-21-30.jpeg

upload_2019-9-25_11-22-3.jpeg

Below are two more photographs showing measurements of a different lot of denim. Normal measurement is .018” thick. Compressed, .0085” thick. With .012” deep grooves would expect it to fail spectacularly as a patch material.

upload_2019-9-25_11-25-1.jpeg

upload_2019-9-25_11-25-21.jpeg

Go to the store with your dial caliper or micrometer. The ladies will love watching you mike each bolt. Make sure you are getting 100% cotton, no synthetics. Yesterday I went to Walmart and bought two yards from each of two different bolts of pillow ticking; .015 and .018, compressed.

ADK Bigfoot
The ladies love watching me no matter what I’m doing.......do I hear distant laughing?

Latest posts

Back