• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patching in wood around an inlay

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was inletting a toeplate and one of the corners of the inlet broke off. It’s a little triangle of wood less than 1/8” wide. I’m planning to glue in a bit of maple to fill it, but I’m wondering what the sequence should be. Should I stain and finish the rest of the stock before glueing it in? I’m guessing if so I’ll end up having to refinish the surrounding wood after I sand it down flush.

I was inletting a toeplate and one of the corners of the inlet broke off. It’s a little triangle of wood less than 1/8” wide. I’m planning to glue in a bit of maple to fill it, but I’m wondering what the sequence should be. Should I stain and finish the rest of the stock before glueing it in? I’m guessing if so I’ll end up having to refinish the surrounding wood after I sand it down flush.
I haven’t had a lot of experience with this, but on the few repairs I’ve made I glue the patch piece in before any staining. For a small repair super glue works very well and whatever glue you use will bond better clean wood to clean wood. After it’s cured you can cut and sand as needed, probably be unnoticeable.

All the repairs I've made were done when the stock was "in the white" and the sides of the inlet and patch were stained. Always used "super glue" which disolved the stain and the outline of the patch was invisible. Never had a patch loosen up when super glue was used. The grain of the patch matched the surrounding wood......Fred

super glue might be the difference - I've only used wood glue - catalog that for future use and hope to not have to use it often:), thanks Fred
For super glue, I use the Loctite "Ultra Liquid Control" It is very fluid compared to regular super glue. If you have a crack in a stock or furniture, it tends to be sucked into the crack giving a through penetration instead of just on the surface.
Super Glue ULTRA Liquid Control from Loctite Adhesives

Thanks guys, I can see how super glue is a lot less likely to leave a visible glue line or cause problems with the finish.

Back in my younger days I built and flew RC airplanes. CA glue (super glue) came in several different thicknesses depending on the application. A hobby shop would be a good source to buy thin super glue.

Thanks guys, I can see how super glue is a lot less likely to leave a visible glue line or cause problems with the finish.

Back in my younger days I built and flew RC airplanes. CA glue (super glue) came in several different thicknesses depending on the application. A hobby shop would be a good source to buy thin super glue.
Jim Kibler recommends CA glue on his videos.

You probably won't get the curl or stripe pattern to match seamlessly, so a little bit of paint creating a faux stripe may be in order right before you put your last couple of varnish coats on. I had to replace a whole toe area and toe plate one time (it slid off the bench and busted the very FIRST time I took it out --I was ready to cry) and used some model paint to get the light and dark stripes to blend across the glue line and you now really can't see it. Basically, I just created a couple of small new ones. The light and dark stripes across it also make you not want to look for it either.

The other good thing is that the area you're talking about is generally an area that doesn't get a lot of close inspection by the casual observer. If you were talking about around the lock or the tang areas then you're in a different general ballpark inspection wise.

If you're going the paint route, you're just going to have to play around with it some. But put it UNDER the last coat of varnish, which will not only mute it, (as grain tends to be) but help to keep it from flaking.

Last edited:
I have posted this before; The lower lock molding is all patched wood and plain maple with no curl, I used medium brown leather dye built up in layers with an artist brush to pull the curl from the original wood through the patch.

lock molding done.JPG

Brilliant Eric! Bravo! I bet before you got your new eyes it would have been something more of a challenge huh?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’m finishing up a few other things and then hopefully I can try patching it in the next week or so.

Back