• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patches burnt through...but

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albanyco

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I took my Lyman trade rifle to the range today to raise its point of impact. I realized i forgot my ox yoke patches so I just used a regular cotton cleaning patch and trimmed at the muzzle lubed with a little spit. To my utter shock, the rifle fired all three shots into one ragged hole at 50 yards. I located a couple fired patches and they were all completely burnt through. Should I worry about the burn through? I just can't get over how accurate it shot. I have a pic of the target but it's too big to post.

I am by no means an expert, but if you can consistently repeat that group than I would not worry about what the patches look like.

Funny you mention this too, since I have had a similar experience with one of my rifles.

I had something similar happen to me at 25 yards. When I went to 50 yards it opened up considerably, then wasn't even on paper at 100. Maybe try it at 75 then 100?

Patches burning through are IME unlikely to improve accuracy.How much powder were you using? Reason I am asking is I once had a similar experience with a 50 cal flint rifle.I had forgotten my patch material and only had enough for a couple of shots.I switched to cotton cleaning patches and spit and at 45 grains they worked fine and did not burn through.A hunting load of 70 gr (2fg) burned the patch right up.If your rifle does not shoot well with the patches you are using try a different material.I have had good results with well washed striped pillow ticking for many years now.

If your patchs are burnin thru they are probaly too thin and you might set something on fire.what is ideal is to pick up your patchs and check them out and see how they held up ,I have reused them 2or3 times just to see if it would work and is does if their the rite thickness.

Well patches burning through is not considered good, so looks like you have a really really good barrel on your rifle. :grin:

You could try a different lube...
You could try a thicker patch (and maybe a different lube)....
You could keep your patch but put a wad of felt, or just paper, or even a bit of old paper-wasp nest between the patched ball and the powder.

OH and trying the accuracy out to 75 and 100 yards is a good idea too.

LD

As stated, if you can do that consistently, just go with it. A single ragged hole is pretty dang good for three shots at 50yrd, no matter of patch condition. Try 5 shots at 50 and see what you get. If it opens up, go back and try 3 shots again after wiping the bore. Then if you want, see what happens wiping between shots.

25 yrds is no good test for accuracy. It is only useful to get you on paper when you go to 50yrds. Then you can get serious with grouping and setting POA for your sights.

Distance was 50 yards, and wiping the bore with a spit patch between shots. I'm going back to the range with the patches I forgot this week and see how I do.

If your end result is good then that's all that matters. Of coarse it is desirable for the patches to be in good shape but that is the means to and end result which you are already getting. I have one that does that when I use Wonder Lube yet still shoots good. I would imagine it's the back part of the patch burning and the part between the barrel and ball staying in tact that keeps the accuracy there. Possibly some of the patch burning after it leaves the barrel so watch for fires.

Albany,
Shredded/burnt patches are generally not a good thing.
I'm just going through this with my newly built Vincent Ohio rifle.

Initial shots at 25 yards look really good, with a load that I just guessed at. +\-10 grains at 25 yards still look pretty good.
Go to 50 yards and it's a different story all together. 2 out of 5 shots all over the place. Patches are burnt and torn badly.
I haven't had it out again at the range yet, but I strongly believe it is the result of poorly fitting ball/patch combo.
There is a small chance that the poor result at 50 yards was that the rear sight is designed poorly and needs filing to make a good notch, but the burnt patches tell me a lot.
All the books, and all my experience tells me that a ragged patch is no good.
You need to solve it or you will never get consistent groups.

To my utter shock, the rifle fired all three shots into one ragged hole at 50 yards

Though I do agree if one uses "regular" patches that is true, the OP has posted what I believe to be an excellent group at 50 yds with his "non regular" patchs. Now if I had a gun that would do that it would be the go to for between the eyes shot critters!

When he tries it at 75-100 yds he may wish to develope a load with "regular" patches (that are not burned or shredded) and keep it for the longer range shots. If it still performs as well I would be interested in acquiring said rifle for my "collection" :grin:

image_1.jpeg

Here is the group.

I agree with some of the others in that patches burning through are not usually a good thing. Are you getting that good of accuracy with your regular patching material. If so, that is what I would stick with.

He was using cotton cleaning patches, not exactly pillow ticking. Anyone catch that? I wouldn't expect them to group beyond 25 yds.

"So I took my Lyman trade rifle to the range today to raise its point of impact. I realized i forgot my ox yoke patches so I just used a regular cotton cleaning patch"

Back