• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patched round ball ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a .50 caliber double barrel cva rifle. I am using a patch and RB. I just saw at TOTW .50 wads for sale. What would be better: the patch or the wad? and would I expect to see that ring of lead when pushing the RB into barrel?

So...you are saying I should use a patch even with a wad unlike a pistol where i would just use the wad (and possibly a seal). And I think the patches are getting burned up because after each shot, there is no evidence I used a patch (unless the patch has gone down target and lost in the dirt).

Not really, @ormond tony. You can use just a wad over the powder and a card to hold the ball in place if the performance meets your expectations. I use effectively an over powder wad then ball and over shot card with a ball in my Brown Bess.

Perhaps a question in the thread in the percussion rifle forum with a description of the load, powder charge, patch thickness, ball diameter and patch lube. But yes, the wad has been proven to minimize gas blow by destroying patches. Often the patch is thin and the patch lube is dry.

Patch should be 30 to 45 feet from the end of the barrel.

Powder, patch and ball, that is the proper sequence.

Worth mentioning when loading double rifles is the possibility of one shot dislodging the other load. A situation one wants to prevent with their choice of loading specifics.

Worth mentioning when loading double rifles is the possibility of one shot dislodging the other load. A situation one wants to prevent with their choice of loading specifics.
That's another good reason to use the tighter fitting patched round ball. Not likely that the recoil will move a patched round ball.

I can see problems with that scenario. felt wads, pass through the barrel, not sure about patched ball going into the barrel cone.
Don't waste money on wads use cream of wheat or grits as most target shooters do .With target loads a 50/50 weight of grits to powder. Make sure you load it on top of the powder. I use CF cases with handles on them.for powder and filler measures. Take stout single wire 8 inch's long double it over an soldier to case. 30 cal carbine cases work great. Cut to length for charge weights. Do not shoot patched balls in revolver. Not real safe.

Back