• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patched round ball ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Who shoots a patched round ball in their revolver ?
Can you explain and give details ?

That's a new one to me. Never heard of it, and I don't see how it would work. I don't see how it could be made to work. My first thought would be there might be some issues with the ball jumping that little gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone... What's going to happen to the patch? One would think the patch would peel off in the forcing cone and end up who knows where, and leave an undersized ball rattling down the bore.

I'll look forward to reading other responses.

Notchy Bob

That's a new one to me. Never heard of it, and I don't see how it would work. I don't see how it could be made to work. My first thought would be there might be some issues with the ball jumping that little gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone... What's going to happen to the patch? One would think the patch would peel off in the forcing cone and end up who knows where, and leave an undersized ball rattling down the bore.

I'll look forward to reading other responses.

Notchy Bob

I've seen it mentioned several times, but like you have a hard time wrapping my head around it.
Looking for more info.

Shooting a patched round ball in a revolver is one of those ideas that fall into the category of it can be done but it's not a good idea.
Personally, after taking the time to match cylinder chamber diameter to groove diameter and getting the forcing cone just right, figuring out the correct size roundballs, it seems counter productive to use an undersized roundball just because we can, adding a patch to the mix that has to jump along with the roundball from the cylinder, into and through the forcing cone, then into the bore, when that properly sized round ball eliminates all the drama. Just my opinion. You can also safely jump out of an airplane without a parachute and not have any hint of a problem until you hit the ground, unless maybe you are paying attention and realize you are about to have a sudden stop... though it won’t change the outcome.

I would personally file this in the "will-work-in-a-pinch-but-is-not-recommended-for-general-use" folder. My Uberti Dragoon and 1860 Army both like .454 balls, so I bought a mold in that size and can make as many as I want, assuming I have the lead available. Hickok has shown us that it can be done, so my curiosity on that point is satisfied, but I don't see any reason to do so, barring some bizarre situation in which you had to rely on a cap and ball revolver to survive and had powder and caps, but only had slightly undersized balls to use in it. Then I guess you could cut patches from your shirt with your pocket knife and get down to business. 🤔

nothing worse than a patch left in the barrel after firing, bulge or blown barrel. it is just not the way they were manufactured to operate!!

nothing worse than a patch left in the barrel after firing, bulge or blown barrel. it is just not the way they were manufactured to operate!!

Don't see how that could happen if you load like Hickock 45 did.

well then go ahead and try it and let us know how it goes? doing this is just stupid people doing stupid things! but DARWINS, theory will take care of it. why would any one have the desire to try it?

I guess in his case the wonder wads may chase the patch through the barrel. Still seems like the potential for material to be left in the barrel though.

I guess in his case the wonder wads may chase the patch through the barrel. Still seems like the potential for material to be left in the barrel though.

I agree about the wads, but many shooters use overpowder wads without any problems, so what is the difference between a felt wad and a patch or a rifle and a revolver or a musket with a paper cartridge or a revolver with a paper cartridge ?
To me the "potential" risk would be the same for all of them.

saw hickock45 do it on youtube on his Dragoon episode. I think it was because he realized he had undersized balls so he tried it and it did work but probably not ideal.

I like his modern videos, but when it comes to traditional black powder, I give him a pass. In the video where he shoots his Brown Bess carbine, his unstoppered container of powder is forward of his muzzle, downrange. Not directly in the path of the ball, but the sparks from a Bess come out in a cone shape, and don't always fly straight. And in the video it's not the camera angle giving a false impression. That was enough for me to pass on his BP use.

HICKOCK45.JPG

A much better idea is to what Duelist1954 for BP info (imho)

LD

The felt wad is close to the diameter of the cylinder and it gets squeezed down into the forcing cone.

A patch is going to be larger in diameter compared to the cylinder diameter. When the patch jumps into the forcing cone, the patch is going to be free of the ball. My thought is that it will reverse itself as it goes into the forcing cone and you have a chance of the patch hanging up there or in the barrel.

The dynamics of a patch and ball in a rifle are different than a patch and ball in a revolver. The ball is enclosed in a rifle until it exits the barrel. In a revolver, the patch is free of the ball when it exits the cylinder as it jumps into the forcing cone.

If it was a good idea, it would be routinely used.

I like his modern videos, but when it comes to traditional black powder, I give him a pass. In the video where he shoots his Brown Bess carbine, his unstoppered container of powder is forward of his muzzle, downrange. Not directly in the path of the ball, but the sparks from a Bess come out in a cone shape, and don't always fly straight. And in the video it's not the camera angle giving a false impression. That was enough for me to pass on his BP use.

View attachment 52591

LD
I agree. Duelist1954 is my go-to for BP vids. I just remembered seeing him do that, not at all saying it's a good idea!

View attachment 52591

LD

That is an excellent example of how a person who does a lot of shooting can become complacent with regard to basic safety. :thumb:

A patch is going to be larger in diameter compared to the cylinder diameter. When the patch jumps into the forcing cone, the patch is going to be free of the ball. My thought is that it will reverse itself as it goes into the forcing cone and you have a chance of the patch hanging up there or in the barrel.

I don't see how that could happen with 5000 pounds of force pushing the patch and only a millisecond of time for separation. Unless you patch and ball combination was very loose.

Not sure it's really complacency. Some times I think it's a matter of thinking they are above things when they become video guru's in their own mind.

Not sure it's really complacency. Some times I think it's a matter of thinking they are above things when they become video guru's in their own mind.
Complacent:
"adjective. pleased, especially with oneself or one's merits, advantages, situation, etc., often without awareness of some potential danger or defect; "

Back