• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patched round ball ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see how that could happen with 5000 pounds of force pushing the patch and only a millisecond of time for separation. Unless you patch and ball combination was very loose.

Stuff happens, like I said if it was a good idea, folks would have adopted the practice a long time ago and it would be PC/HC.

Should be a lot of fun trying to stuff the patch enclosed ball into the small area in front of the cylinder to ram it home.

Sounds like great sport.

Me, I'll keep using the old way.

"adjective. pleased, especially with oneself or one's merits, advantages, situation, etc., often without awareness of some potential danger or defect; "

I do agree with you, bad part those who are not schooled in the proper way, are learning bad and dangerous habits by example.

bad part those who are not schooled in the proper way, are learning bad and dangerous habits by example.

Could not agree with you more on that. That is why I'm discussing this topic and not "doing" or advocating anything.

Yep, I think it is time for lunch, then cutting some more patches and a fire in the fire place.

In Hickock's defense, I have done something similar to his mistake, (leaving my flask in a bad Iodation on the bench) I caught mine though and learned from it.

Could not agree with you more on that. That is why I'm discussing this topic and not "doing" or advocating anything.

Again agree, I am hesitant on videos for learning.

I recently sold some of my excess ML rifles to a person who lives close to me. His only knowledge of ML was videos from U-Tube, his knowledge is sad.

Have been working with him on shooting and safety. I gave him my Log Cabin and Dixie catalogs so he can see what is available that he might need.

I have been fortunate to have had some great mentors, shot in some great clubs, been to Phoenix and Friendship with great tutelage from folks there.

Unfortunately, any moron can put out a video of 'How to" and become an instant expert in the eyes of those watching.

Seems some regulation is in need.

Like I said, "It's a more difficult way of loading."
I would go further than saying it is a more difficult way of loading. I would call it a total PITA.

In order to allow the cylinder to rotate, no part of the patch should stick out beyond the face of the cylinder and because the powder charge (and wad if it is used) is taking up most of the room under the ball one can't ram the patched ball down far enough to guarentee the edges of the patch will always be below the front of the cylinder.
That means, after loading the patched ball, you would need to use a razor blade or an equally sharp patch knife to cut off any extra patch material that will be lurking there.

Sounds like a whole lot of work for no real gain to me.

I've been shooting a long time and never even considered it.
A properly sized ball will shave a ring of lead, unless your chamber mouths are chamfered. There is no logical reason to patch a ball on a revolver and in fact it could be dangerous if the patch did not exit the barrel.

In order to allow the cylinder to rotate, no part of the patch should stick out beyond the face of the cylinder and because the powder charge (and wad if it is used) is taking up most of the room under the ball one can't ram the patched ball down far enough to guarentee the edges of the patch will always be below the front of the cylinder.
That means, after loading the patched ball, you would need to use a razor blade or an equally sharp patch knife to cut off any extra patch material that will be lurking there.

I think this could be overcome by using pre-cut round patches of the appropriate size.

When do you plan to test this out? Planning to test birdshot and buckshot at the same time?

Just did, and have determined that it is indeed too much of a P.I.T.A. to load as Zonie suggested. If one loaded it off the gun, it might be doable.
I want to thank you SDSmlf for asking, Had you not, I would not have noticed a spot of rust developing on my revolver.
Thank You.

Last edited:
Played with it loading cylinder off gun and cutting patch flush with cylinder. Accuracy at around 20/25 ft was about like a small child throwing a
hand full of gravel. Was just curious if a smaller ball could be used. I was not impressed enough to try it again.

just because it is a bad idea doesn't mean it might be fun.
Saw there here somewhere and thought it fits.
Hold my beer Bubba and watch this

Fun has been cancelled this year, Maybe next.
Carbon i had fun today shot my percussion revolvers, found out that bullets, even very light (160 and 130 grains) do NOT work in a .44 percussion Pietta Marshal.
Also had fun casting a bunch of .451" ball for my Marshals.
Now that was fun, but don't tell anyone.
Bunk

Who shoots a patched round ball in their revolver ?
Can you explain and give details ?
Only someone who doesnt know what they are doing.
Only someone who doesnt know what they are doing could give you details. Why would you even ask if you understand the mechanics of the BP revolver?
Bored?

Only someone who doesnt know what they are doing.
Only someone who doesnt know what they are doing could give you details. Why would you even ask if you understand the mechanics of the BP revolver?
Bored?
Ah, the Mechanics. Why didn't I think of that? 🤔

Back