• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aline

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm planning on starting making my own patches. I'll just cut square patches. What size should they be for a .50 cal? The round patches I've been using (buying) so far are 1 1/4" diameter, and the package says they are good for .45, .50 and .54 calibers. Would square patches need to be 1 1/4" by 1 1/4"? Or 1" by 1" would do?
Thanks,
Aline

If it was me, I'd stay with the 1.25"...yes, the square patch will have the addition of 4 little corners, but you still need the same size everywhere else that you've been using, so I wouldn't make the overall patch smaller.

In fact, I've switched everything to the larger size patch per caliber in my rifles because I find them easier to keep the ball centered and faster to load, but the generous size is not excessive and doesn't cause any problems, and are very accurate.

I use .018" prelubed/precut round pillow ticking for my .50 & .54calibers that measures 1+5/16",
and 1+3/16" for the .45cal...

Aline, I ain't hitting on ya.....but u is purtier then a speckled puppy on a wagonload of flowers. Ah shore wisht ah wuddent a ol man and I also hope muh bride uv 41 years don't see this !!!

1" x 1" would be tough to get perfectly aligned, which is just what it would need to be. It is far better to have extra patch in front of the ball and not a bald spot around the edge of the ball. That would never shoot accurately.

I carry strips of ticking 1-5/8" wide by 36" long and dab the last inch of one end a tin of lube/grease (Natural Lube 1000+), set it on the muzzle (the lube sticks it there), set a ball on it and use the back of my short starter to seat the ball just below flush with the muzzle and then trim the patch strip with my patch knife. It cuts a nice circular patch out or the strip just exactly the proper size. I always carry one or two bullet blocks with 5 patched balls lubed and ready to go. I prefer to re-fill the block than patch a ball while hanging on to the rifle and juggling accessories. It's easier to prop the rifle on a tree and hunker down and roll five at a time using the block with the components on the ground in front of me.

PS With that Avatar you should get lots of help and advice ;-)

Now jest hol on thar a cotton-pickin minit Stumpkiller. Y'all orten to go acallin thet purty gal no avatar. I don no whut thet means, an I don't tawk yankee ( Ah sees y'all is frum UPSTART, NYORK). Aline, I is comin ta Flaridy fust thang Mundey mornin, and iffn ah sees ya, ah'll pollergize fer them rude thangs thet fellar iz callin ya.

Ah was a figgerin that Aline wer really someun who looks like that MooskeetMan an jus cut our sum pictur from one o them fancy magazines ta fool us out har in 'Zonie but ah'm a sayin iffen she wants to be an Aviator more power to her!

Ta answer her question mathematically a .50 needs a patch slightly bigger than .785 so a 1 inch patch could work. As was mentioned though if it wasn't exactly centered with the bore when starting the ball it could fail to seal the full circumference of the ball in the bore.
It's better to just make it about 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 so you don't have to be so careful during loading.

Aline, For my .50 caliber I cut the patches 1-1/4 X 1-1/4. They seem to work just fine. Here's some I picked up from my last range session.

fa2d314c.jpg

Aline - You sure are better looking than Musketman! Why are you going to change your patching. if it isn't broke don't fix it. Rocky

quote:Originally posted by Rocky Johnson:
Aline - You sure are better looking than Musketman! What's wrong with the way I look?
rolleyes.gif
Other than thats a picture of me 28 years ago...

I see, everyone goes ga-gaa over the first cute face that shows up...

At least I don't look like Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein...
grin.gif

Anyway, What I do to get the "right" size for pre-cut patches is to load a ball and patch strip, cut the patch flush with the barrel and then pull the ball and patch combo...

I then unfold the patch and use it as a template for future patches...

Thanks Rocky,
I'm going to change my patching for two reasons. I've been buying pre-cut round patches. They are working, but to some extent. They are too thin (0.012"). I can get accurate shots if I load with 60 or 70gr of BP. But hotter loads like 80 or 90gr are very very inaccurate. I believe thick patches will help. Another reason for wanting to make the switch is that I like to do things myself.
Best regards,
Aline

If you buy bulk pillow tick, wash it first before you cut your patches...

Not because of shrinking or anything like that, the pillow tick has sizing in it and it's best to wash it out...

TwoShadows wrote: "Now jest hol on thar a cotton-pickin minit Stumpkiller. Y'all orten to go acallin thet purty gal no avatar. I don no whut thet means, an I don't tawk yankee ( Ah sees y'all is frum UPSTART, NYORK). Aline, I is comin ta Flaridy fust thang Mundey mornin, and iffn ah sees ya, ah'll pollergize fer them rude thangs thet fellar iz callin ya."

Sur, you has cut me to the quick. My middle name is "Lee" - from the Virginia Lees - and I am a proud land owner of plot G43056 in the Hollow of Lynchburg, TN and furthermore a life member of the "Society for the Preservation of Early American Art" (Tennessee Type). Obviously, my desendent along the line was an infiltrator into hostile northern territories and was awaiting a call to action, which apparantly never came. The code signal to open the sealed orders from Jefferson Davis has been lost to family tradition, as have the sealed orders themselves, but we Pearsall's remain vigilant.

Latest posts

Back