• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I‘ll start this by saying I know cutting at the muzzle would alleviate this, but I don’t as of now. I may in the near future, but I don’t right now.

I am fairly new to traditional muzzleloading and have a question about what everyone else does that buys or makes their own patches. I received an order from TOTW yesterday in which I ordered separate patches for my 32, 45, 50, and 54 cal muzzleloaders. Right now I have 3 patch sizes. Does everyone use separate patches for each size ball or do you use one patch size for multiple sized round balls without issue? Basically, if I use the 50-59 cal patch on a 45 cal, would there be an issue with accuracy?

No, there would not be an issue with accuracy. There is more than enough patch material to firmly hold the ball and still be able to fill the gaps in the grooves of the rifled barrel. Undersized patches might not do as good a job getting in the grooves to be able to grip the rifling. The phrase "better too much than not enough" says it all.

@10acres, A little oversized won't hurt accuracy much, but too large can pose problems. If you use the cleaning jag to load your rifle, like most of us do, with our working rods, an oversized patch can catch on the jag and you will pull the ball back out.

You shouldn't have problems with the 50-59 cal patches in your 45. I wouldn't use them in the 32.

I don't worry a lot over patch size and use a particular size for more than one caliber. They should be small enough to not "wad up" when started and large enough to grip plenty of ball.

The general rule for pre-cut round patches is that they should be twice (2x) the diameter of the ball. Slightly larger does no harm, but smaller can't be depended on to properly wrap the ball.

mhb - MIke

Back