• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Punches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey gang! :)

I have a big jar of mink's oil all ready to lube up some patches. Now this week I'm hitting Jo-Anns for some pillow ticking and cotton drill cloth to make my own patches for my .54 cal caplock rifle.

But I am wondering where to find the correct sized punch to make the patches? According to my research, I need about a 1 3/8" patch for a .54 gun.

Anybody have any leads? What do you use to punch pre-cut patches for your rifles? Also yes I know I can cut it in strips and cut at the muzzle, but I'd like to try pre-cut patches as well.

Thanks guys! :hatsoff:

Smokey

Personally, I use pre cut square patches with no problems at all. If you want to use round patches and have a drill press, grinding the teeth off a used hole saw & leaving a sharp edge to cut several layers of cloth at once is one method. I use arch punches (bought off eBay) for cutting wads but am not certain how costly & effective they would be in larger sizes. I am sure that others will give you more ideas.

Make square patches - all you need is a pair of scissors. Rip strips, cut into squares and lube each batch. You can make 50-100 patches (or more) in less than 30 minutes (including impregnating with lube).

As I recall Zonie posted a list of patch sizes by caliber quite a while back. Maybe I have it book marked or copied. I'll see if I can find it. Perhaps you can find it with a search. Maybe Zonie will pop up to answer the question.

I made a rotary cutter out of a piece of black pipe....Just pit it in a drill press and make patches as fast as you can run it up and down.

Square patches also work

Smokey Plainsman said:
Ohio Ron makes punches for round patches?

I would like to experiment with round and square ones to see if one will shoot better in my gun.

No difference.
I find it much easier to cut at muzzle. But, this is a do yer own thang game. Do wat floats yer stick.

Look on eBay for "arch punch."

Don't try to punch one layer of cloth at a time - you'll just end up frustrated. The technique that works for me is to cut strips a bit wider than the punch and then accordion fold the cloth till I get about 20 layers. Then I punch through all of them into a piece of end grain hardwood.

I make patch cutters from hole saws. They come in any size you might need and are available at big box home stores and most hardware stores. I mount the saw on a mandrel (will fit multiple saw sizes) and spin it in my drill press. I use a cutoff wheel in my dremel and cut the teeth off the hole saw just behind the gussets as it spins. I then use a stone in my dremel to bevel the outside of the holesaw and then arkansas stones to whet it to a scary sharp edge. Spun in the drill press it will go through multiple layers of .025 cloth with no trouble. I can make several hundred patches in just a few minutes.

I've noticed when I recover a shot patch that I cut at the muzzle, the patch was more square than round. You could lube an uncut strip then cut at the muzzle or just cut a square off the lubed strip each time you load.

I think the reason muzzle cut patches end up square is because of how they are cut....Most people cut them in a straight line.....If you cut it in a circular fashion it will turn out round instead of square....So....The whole "square" patch thing is kind of a misnomer.

colorado clyde said:
I think the reason muzzle cut patches end up square is because of how they are cut....Most people cut them in a straight line.....If you cut it in a circular fashion it will turn out round instead of square....So....The whole "square" patch thing is kind of a misnomer.

ummmm ya :doh:

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH PRE CUT PATCHES EXCEPT THAT SOME TIMES WHEN YOU WHACK THE SHORT STARTER THEY WILL GO DOWN THE BARREL OFF CENTER WHICH CAN THROW THE BALL A BIT OFF COURSE AS IT EXITS THE BARREL.
WHETHER A PATCH IS ROUND, SQUARE OR OBLONG IS NOT IMPORTANT. THEPATCH SHOULD PROVIDE A COMPLET BELT AROUND THE BALL, MAKING THE SEAL, WITH NOTHING IN FRONT OF THE BALL TO DEFLECT IT.
CUTTING THE PATCH AT THE MUZZLE GIVES YOU A PERFECT PATCH EVERY TIME..

DUTCH

Thanks, gang.

So I read the old timers would use their knife handle to push the ball down to start it, not use a short starter. Think I'll try that and cut at the muzzle. Also, I'll try square and round patches. I'll order one of the 1 1/4" or 1 3/8" arch punches from online. Anyone know which size would be better for a .54 ball?

Back