• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch or lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little background:
I've been using a liquid patch lube for rendevous shooting and practice shooting, which is just t/c #13 soaked into a .015 store bought cotton patch wrapped around a .530 RB. Patches are damp but none can be squeezed out of them. Recovered patches look good, no excessive burning or holes in them. I'm sold on using this combination for the ease of loading and not having to swab everytime, as well as good grouping. These are being shot over a load of 70grns ff goex.

I've been recently experimenting with different patch lubes that will be good for hunting, so that the load can sit in the barrel for a day of hunting and not foul the powder. I've been experimenting using the same 70grn charge, but want it to work for 80grn hunting loads, which I will experiment with once I actually get some good results with a 70grn charge.

I recently tried a Castor oil/Denatured alcohol mix, 1 part CO to 5 parts DA. Patches were fried to a crisp, loading would require swabbing for even a second loading, and of course groups were non existant. So I then tried 2 parts CO to 5 parts DA...patches weren't fried but did have holes in them still, groups weren't acceptable, but loading up to three times without swabbing was possible. At this point I tried shooting some .015 cotton patches that I lubed with Natural Lube 1000. These resulted in terrible groups as well, holes in the patches, and having to swab every shot.

So, now I think a patch change is in order. I'm thinking of trying pillow ticking for a tighter weave to see if it eliminates the holes. Most pillow ticking seems to be .018, but I did find that CVA makes a .015 precut pillow ticking patch as well. I refuse to have to use a mallet to load, so I'm obviously looking for the best patch that will work and still have decent loading ease and most importantly good groups. I'm wondering what all of you with way more experience at this obsession think of this line of thought? At this point do you feel that the patch material is at fault and should be changed?

I use the same load as you except that I use Dutch's "dry lube" patching. That 70 gr charge will kill any deer or black bear, at least the ones I've shot died promptly! No need to re-invent the wheel, use the load that's working for you!

Even if it dampened the powder it would not do so as to affect the firing and I think it likely would not matter as the fire from the 65 grains behind the possibly slightly dampened powder would dry it out and it'd burn as if it was under a dry patch.

If its working don't fix it. I too would recommend the dutch system but then you must swab between loads. Other than that I had much better luck with Hoppes #9 muzzle loader solvent and patch lube. Hunted with it for 35 years and no issues, at least the smoke didn't appear more humid so Im guessing the powder was dry? :idunno:

I think I'll still experiment with some pillow ticking patches. I find the experimenting to be part of the fun. I have high hopes for the CO/DA dry lube on a tighter weaved patch.
I did have another thought though...since the CO isn't water soluble, will that make my soapy water cleaning method less effective? Or does the few drops of dish soap cut the CO?

I think I'll still experiment with some pillow ticking patches. I find the experimenting to be part of the fun. I have high hopes for the CO/DA dry lube on a tighter weaved patch.
I did have another thought though...since the CO isn't water soluble, will that make my soapy water cleaning method less effective? Or does the few drops of dish soap cut the CO?

Just gonna say, play with one variable at a time.

I and several other shooters I know have encountered the crispy patch event with CO. It's temperature resistance threshold is not high enough for a good patch lube. The much vaunted olive oil lube has the same problem.

One shooter I know (who is also a member here) researched the temp resistance of oils and found that peanut oil had the highest resistance. Guess there is a reason why all those turkey frying aficionados use it! :haha:

Some pics of your fired patches would be helpful.

Hmm...hadn't heard that.
Guess I'll give it one more go on a pillow ticking patch and if that doesn't work then I'll abandon it as a possible lube.
Thanks for the info about that.

Stick with what is working for you and combine it with a felt OP wad. Www.durofelt.com. Click on "products" and scroll down to the felt that is indicated as being for wads. You can buy hollow punches to punch out your wads from several tool sellers or you can have "Ohio ramrod" on this forum custom make one for you for an extremely reasonable price.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of alternatives are out there if you want to try a commercially available product. One is TOW Mink Oil, but my favorite is Dixie's Ol' Zip. It has lanolin for one of the ingredients and is slicker than the scum on a Louisiana bayou.

Back