• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started shooting I would just go through my closet and find old cloths(in good shape) and use them. A dress shirt that is all cotton works well. It has a good tight weave. I've used flannel, while not the best the material compresses allot and works with light loads. I had some old BDUs that actually was all cotton, worked very well. It is a little thicker though, similar to denim. Pillow ticking is sort of traditional but really it is just cotton clot with a tight weave(usually) and has the stripes printed on to give it the look.

I have standardized on .015" pillow ticking from Walmart. Trying to use duck proved frustrating as there are many-many fabrics called "duck" and staying consistent proved impossible. For several years I tried denim and still have about a 1/4 of a bolt. It works for some people but, IMHO, is just too thick for my purposes.

In my .62 smoothbore which has a rather tight bore I get best results with "baby blanket flannel" (.012") or thereabout. Pillow ticking works very well but is pretty tight patching a .600" ball. My .54 rifle has to have thinner patching with pillow ticking being the limit in thickness.

I just picked up a few yards of pillow ticking from Walmart that I am going to try in my GPR .54 with my .530 round balls that I just pored.

Back