Patch material

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

mooman76

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When I first started shooting I would just go through my closet and find old cloths(in good shape) and use them. A dress shirt that is all cotton works well. It has a good tight weave. I've used flannel, while not the best the material compresses allot and works with light loads. I had some old BDUs that actually was all cotton, worked very well. It is a little thicker though, similar to denim. Pillow ticking is sort of traditional but really it is just cotton clot with a tight weave(usually) and has the stripes printed on to give it the look.

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have standardized on .015" pillow ticking from Walmart. Trying to use duck proved frustrating as there are many-many fabrics called "duck" and staying consistent proved impossible. For several years I tried denim and still have about a 1/4 of a bolt. It works for some people but, IMHO, is just too thick for my purposes.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
In my .62 smoothbore which has a rather tight bore I get best results with "baby blanket flannel" (.012") or thereabout. Pillow ticking works very well but is pretty tight patching a .600" ball. My .54 rifle has to have thinner patching with pillow ticking being the limit in thickness.

Ballshooter

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just picked up a few yards of pillow ticking from Walmart that I am going to try in my GPR .54 with my .530 round balls that I just pored.

Reactions: smo