• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch Lubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the patch lubes used by line pistol shooters is below and it works:

WD-40
ATF

Mixed 50/50

You can buy WD-40 by the gallon at Lowe's.

ATF, buy the least expensive you can find.

For those who are going to scream that this mixture will create fouling just short terrible, it does not.

There is a match where you shoot 25 shots in 45 minutes at 50 yards with percussion pistol. This does not leave time to clean between shots and you have to be prepared to get all shots off in the allowed time.

Having tried every just about every brand and concoction of patch lube over the years, my favorite continues to be TOTW Mink Oil.

Reading here for some time, it does have a loyal following, never read a negative post on it.

Searching "patch lube" brings up ten pages of previous posts on the subject but "best patch lube" brings up only three pages and I don't think anybody likes the Chapstick I'm so fond of...

Reading here for some time, it does have a loyal following, never read a negative post on it.
While there are many effective patch lube formulas available, I think TOTW Mink Oil has attractive attributes. It’s very temperature insensitive, has a flexible consistency that allows for pre-lubed patches or strips, and with several of my rifles, enables me to shoot from 10-20 “accurate” shots without swabbing. I usually only need to rub a small amount on one side of the patch(barrel side) for good results. The cost of $7 for an 8oz tin is nice, and, it goes a long way!
Shown:shots #1 and 12, shooting 2-11 at steel gongs with my 50cal TVA Virginia Rifle...... No swabbing.

Attachments

• DEC490AD-CC4B-4EAF-B8A3-A50D98D25C3A.jpeg
    DEC490AD-CC4B-4EAF-B8A3-A50D98D25C3A.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 108
I use 1 cup Dawn
1 cup Murphy’s oil soap
12 once’s of Hopes
in a gallon jug , rest water .
1 pack of Red food coloring. Shoot all weekend at monthly matches. Do not have to wipe or clean.

I use 1 cup Dawn
1 cup Murphy’s oil soap
12 once’s of Hopes
in a gallon jug , rest water .
1 pack of Red food coloring. Shoot all weekend at monthly matches. Do not have to wipe or clean.

Hope's what ?
Also what is the reasoning behind using two different soaps ?

No doubt spit patches work well, but so does something like 1 Ballistol : 6 parts water.

I've found that gives me the most consistent groups.

With Ballistol and water, it's not just the ratio, but how "wet" the patches are. I have found the more dry, the better. I soak strips of pillow ticking in the 6:1 mixture, wring them out as much as possible, then lay them in a pan to dry overnight. The strips then get rolled up and stored in an empty shoe polish can in my possibles bag; I cut my patches at the muzzle.

I prefer Mink Oil. Don't have to mix up any recipes and it doesn't freeze in winter. Some use bees wax but I wonder if it gets hard in the cold?

Back