• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have been buying patches pre lubed with bear grease and beeswax but I was thinking about maybe making my own lube for some patches anybody have any recipes that like to share

I have been buying patches pre lubed with bear grease and beeswax but I was thinking about maybe making my own lube for some patches anybody have any recipes that like to share

Make your own beeswax and bear grease lube, if you cant get bear grease substitute it for lard or tallow.
It really boils down to preference and what qualities you want in a lube.

I like beeswax and olive oil for a greasy type lube but spit is still my favorite.
I never pre-lube patches other than maybe one stuck to the lid of my lube tin, I lube as needed.

Experiment with small batches, keeping good records of the ratio of ingredients and avoid petroleum products.

If a beeswax type lube turns out too stiff or loose just re-melt and adjust content until you get a desired consistency.

Lube is pretty straight forward, most issues people have come from applying the incorrect amount to the patch.

Make your own beeswax and bear grease lube, if you cant get bear grease substitute it for lard or tallow.
It really boils down to preference and what qualities you want in a lube.

I like beeswax and olive oil for a greasy type lube but spit is still my favorite.
I never pre-lube patches other than maybe one stuck to the lid of my lube tin, I lube as needed.

Experiment with small batches, keeping good records of the ratio of ingredients and avoid petroleum products.

If a beeswax type lube turns out too stiff or loose just re-melt and adjust content until you get a desired consistency.

Lube is pretty straight forward, most issues people have come from applying the incorrect amount to the patch.
Do you have to boil it all down Or just heat it tell it get soft enough to mix all help is appreciated thank you

Use a double boiler to heat the components. You want just enough heat to melt the wax and the tallow without burning. One large pan of water heated to a low boil and the other parts, the bee's wax and tall in a smaller ot set inside the one with the boiling water.

Do you have to boil it all down Or just heat it tell it get soft enough to mix all help is appreciated thank you

Don't "boil" beeswax. heat it gently and carefully if any fat or wax at any point begins to smoke get it of the heat fast, you Are getting close to the self ignition temperature.

Tallow and animal fats need to be rendered first but once they are rendered (like lard is) they and beeswax need only be melted to incorporate.

I mix all my lubes in old thrift store pans and I do it outside where risk of fire or spillage isn't an issue.

A double boiler is a good idea. because the temp never gets above 212 degrees.

Back