• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch lube, spit or lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make your own cheap spit without having to gag. Take a squirt bottle and fill it with -0° windshield washer fluid. Works just like spit. Evaporates quickly if you choose to use it to wipe between shots. It’s premade with the alcohol and a touch of soap. A $3 jug will last for years. It’s all I use for patch lube and cleaning. I do switch to mink oil for hunting and if I’m going to keep my gun loaded for a while during hunting season.

The patch material is clean when I put it in my mouth. Single use for shooting or cleaning. Nothing to fear.
Now that you solved the dirty part of the patch, what about the chemicals that were used to make up the fabric material and you still have the gag factor. Nope, you still can't convince me. It's so easy to prelube my patch material and I don't have the awful experience of putting something in my mouth that doesn't belong.

The thing I can't get is the people that use spit for range and grease for hunting, your changing a major part of your loading. I use mink oil for both for keeping it the same as on the range and hunting. Also if you are trying to get people in our sport, sucking on patches isn't the way to go. I can shoot all after noon with mink oil with out swabbing so why suck on patches.

Yuk! There is no good sane reason to stick a dirty old patch in my mouth. Might as well call it spit gag.;)
That's why I only stick clean patching material in my mouth. If the patching is dirty, I spit on it. When I shoot paper cartidges in the King's Musket, I will spit on the ball end after the powder is poured for the same reason, to moisten the paper wrapped ball and to soften the fouling as I load.

Now that you solved the dirty part of the patch, what about the chemicals that were used to make up the fabric material and you still have the gag factor. Nope, you still can't convince me. It's so easy to prelube my patch material and I don't have the awful experience of putting something in my mouth that doesn't
The thing I can't get is the people that use spit for range and grease for hunting, you’re changing a major part of your loading. I use mink oil for both for keeping it the same as on the range and hunting. Also if you are trying to get people in our sport, sucking on patches isn't the way to go. I can shoot all after noon with mink oil with out swabbing so why suck on patches.
The difference in accuracy or POI between spit/WW fluid that I mentioned and pre-lubed patches is minimal in my experience when it comes to hunting. Most all hunting shots are from a clean barrel regardless of what the lube is used. Shooting offhanded at a deer I don’t worry about the 1” difference in accuracy from the different lube choice. I shoot monthly matches. I like the spit or spritz bottle for patches. Lube my patches, clean the frizzen, wipe down the entire gun and even wash my hands with it.

Yuk! There is no good sane reason to stick a dirty old patch in my mouth. Might as well call it spit gag.;)
FYI... Don't let the patch material drag on the ground before you put it in your mouth. The patch material that I use is pristine... straight from the store and stored clean and kept clean till I am to use it.

The difference in accuracy or POI between spit/WW fluid that I mentioned and pre-lubed patches is minimal in my experience when it comes to hunting. Most all hunting shots are from a clean barrel regardless of what the lube is used. Shooting offhanded at a deer I don’t worry about the 1” difference in accuracy from the different lube choice. I shoot monthly matches. I like the spit or spritz bottle for patches. Lube my patches, clean the frizzen, wipe down the entire gun and even wash my hands with it.
The spriz bottle I can see that it has it's uses, putting the patch in your mouth no.

Now that you solved the dirty part of the patch, what about the chemicals that were used to make up the fabric material

Thats why I wash mine twice. 😀

I have gone all spit sometimes but usually an oiled shooting patch and a spit wiper between shots if it's out of the bag. If it's from a loading table then a spritz bottle.

I can shoot spit patch or spritzed patches all day long without wiping but it just bothers me to dump powder down the bore immediately after a shot without wiping.

I used spit patch for years with complete satisfaction. Later on I dabbled with my own mixes until I finally discovered Hoppes BP Patch Lube and TOW mink oil. WW fluid works well as do a number of other liquids.

I am quite dry now so spit patch isn't an option. Hoppes at the range and mink oil in the bush works.
PICT0593-1.jpg

FYI... Don't let the patch material drag on the ground before you put it in your mouth. The patch material that I use is pristine... straight from the store and stored clean and kept clean till I am to use it.
Lol, but what is the fun in that?

Thats why I wash mine twice. 😀

I have gone all spit sometimes but usually an oiled shooting patch and a spit wiper between shots if it's out of the bag. If it's from a loading table then a spritz bottle.

I can shoot spit patch or spritzed patches all day long without wiping but it just bothers me to dump powder down the bore immediately after a shot without wiping.
I have 5 muzzleloaders and not one can I load without swabbing my bore between shots. I tried it and each time I had to litterly pound the ball home. So far, all I used was TOTW Mink Oil, Moose Milk of 5 to 1 Ballistol and water, Wonder Lube and Bore Butter. A few years ago, during a woods walk, I did try the spit patch deal and that's when I found out I had gag reflex all through the woods. I had to swab between every load. Plus I didn't like being called Pilgram after almost throwing up on an old salt.

I have 5 muzzleloaders and not one can I load without swabbing my bore between shots. I tried it and each time I had to litterly pound the ball home. So far, all I used was TOTW Mink Oil, Moose Milk of 5 to 1 Ballistol and water, Wonder Lube and Bore Butter. A few years ago, during a woods walk, I did try the spit patch deal and that's when I found out I had gag reflex all through the woods. I had to swab between every load. Plus I didn't like being called Pilgram after almost throwing up on an old salt.
There is always the possibility that your PRB/patch combination is a little too tight in the bore.

Can you load without pounding on a short starter, you might be surprised by trying a little thinner patch.

Unless your shooting chunk guns or off a benchrest for score a easier to load combination is worth a try.

There is always the possibility that your PRB/patch combination is a little too tight in the bore.

Can you load without pounding on a short starter, you might be surprised by trying a little thinner patch.

Unless your shooting chunk guns or off a benchrest for score a easier to load combination is worth a try.
Could very well be. I am using .018 pillow ticking with .490 ball in the 50's and the same patch with .530 in the 54. However, in all cases the .015 patches were blowing out around the edges quite a bit but they did load easier. And yes, on a second shot, even after swabbing, I have to hit the short starter pretty had a few time to get it started. Shooting two Lyman GPR's and a TC New Englander and an Investarm Spa.

Your hands don't get greasy with spit patch!
I use spit patches on woods walks. My patches are washed and I keep them clean.
I use water and a little Murphy's in a spray bottle at the offhand line.
I use tallow for hunting. I don't want spit in the bore too long. Could rust, or dry out, or wet the charge.

Your hands don't get greasy with spit patch!
I use spit patches on woods walks. My patches are washed and I keep them clean.
I use water and a little Murphy's in a spray bottle at the offhand line.
I use tallow for hunting. I don't want spit in the bore too long. Could rust, or dry out, or wet the charge.
I don’t often use spit because it’s different then use hunting, but it is very handy.

I wonder what happens when your mouth goes dry?When you are shooting at someone and they are shooting at you your mouth will get dry! LOL!
The few times I have run low on spit at a match I just put a few kernels of powder inside my lower lip. Plenty of spit results. A couple of flakes of snoose works even better!

More seriously, I like "saliva lube". Loading starts with a folded section of the patch strip in my mouth, then on to powder, etc.

Could very well be. I am using .018 pillow ticking with .490 ball in the 50's and the same patch with .530 in the 54. However, in all cases the .015 patches were blowing out around the edges quite a bit but they did load easier. And yes, on a second shot, even after swabbing, I have to hit the short starter pretty had a few time to get it started. Shooting two Lyman GPR's and a TC New Englander and an Investarm Spa.
Try a smaller ball and the 18 thou patch, there is no law that says go 10 thou under on ball size.

As any who read my posts know I am interested in history and during colonial times I doubt that most shooters were wiping between shots or pounding balls down with short starters and mallets.

Two of my most accurate rifles, a .32 and a .54, both only require you grip the hickory ramrod with a couple of inches sticking out and give the spit patched ball a good push and once its started it goes right down.

I blow down the barrel to keep the fouling soft between shots and if the nervous Nancie's say it is not allowed at the range I am at I have a rubber hose I stick in the muzzle and blow down that.

Now, if I ever decided to shoot chunk guns (which I am pretty sure I will not) I would get a wiping stick and a big mallet.

Latest posts

Back