• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch lube, spit or lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used spit patch for years with complete satisfaction. Later on I dabbled with my own mixes until I finally discovered Hoppes BP Patch Lube and TOW mink oil. WW fluid works well as do a number of other liquids.

I am quite dry now so spit patch isn't an option. Hoppes at the range and mink oil in the bush works.
PICT0593-1.jpg

Hanshi, I use mink oil and the newer version of that hoppes BP cleaner. I have found that after a couple of shots with mink patches the ball will end up getting stuck trying to load it, whereas the hoppes seems to wet the fouling enough that it actually cleans it as I load the ball as I'm intending to. I can shoot all day without swabbing using the hoppes... Only a few shots with mink. My ball/patch combo is very tight.

Thoughts? I'd like to be able to do the same with the mink oil as the hoppes lube

When we talk of lubing a patch with mink oil, we are talking about hunting. With a rifle, by the time of the third shot, the game should be on the ground and more shots are not needed or it's time to return to camp to clean the rifle for the next day. So, three shots before experiencing a stuck ball is the day's worth of shooting. The Hoppe's Black Powder gun solvent is a thin oil and when used, the wet a patch for shooting round ball will dampen the fouling and push the fouling down on the powder charge. Doing so at a consistent rate of fire will give reasonably accurate results on target and wiping between shots may not be necessary.

When we talk of lubing a patch with mink oil, we are talking about hunting. With a rifle, by the time of the third shot, the game should be on the ground and more shots are not needed or it's time to return to camp to clean the rifle for the next day. So, three shots before experiencing a stuck ball is the day's worth of shooting. The Hoppe's Black Powder gun solvent is a thin oil and when used, the wet a patch for shooting round ball will dampen the fouling and push the fouling down on the powder charge. Doing so at a consistent rate of fire will give reasonably accurate results on target and wiping between shots may not be necessary.
I know that some only use mink oil for hunting and shooting very little in practice, but I also know that some are able to shoot many many shots with it without wiping. I'd like to be able to do that so I can practice a lot with my hunting load

Mutton tallow like the brits used for 100s of yrs because it works! double boiler dip patching squeeze out extra wrap tight store in old pill bottles
DSC03033 (2) - Copy.JPG
getz barrel
DSC03040.JPG
DSC03160.JPG
green mtn barrel
DSC03384.JPG
DSC03618.JPG
DSC03411.JPG
Hoyt barrels tallow works keeps fouling soft (all above done with no wipe between shots using a jag one caliper below rifle (45 for 50)(50 for 54)

Attachments

• DSC03040.JPG
    DSC03040.JPG
    518.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03160.JPG
    DSC03160.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 0
Back