• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch lube, spit or lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know that this is an old topic and I have used all kinds of lube for my patches and in my simple head the thickness of the patch is more impotent than the lube is, in order to obtain accuracy. I just posted a video on my YouTube channel on home made patch lube and yes it works...! But why are so many of you partial to using spit patch? If`n ya-àll can give me sane reasons to use spit patches I might just change my practice for the future! Even as it can be hard after almost 30 years of shooting front stuffers..! And we just might help out some flatlanders or newbies in the process...!

One of the reasons we use a lubricant is to soften the fouling from a previous shot. It also adds softness to the patching material so the patch fills the grooves for a better seal during the firing of the powder charge. Since water will dissolve and loosen black powder fouling and spit is mostly water, it works very well as a patch lubricant. Almost all patch lubricants used at the range contain water, so it really makes little difference what patch lubricant to use. At the shooting range, I use a mix of water soluble oil and water to dampen the patch just because I don't want to use spit on a regular basis and I like the little bit of lubricant on the patch.

When hunting, you want to use a patch lubricant that won't dry out and that will rule out the water based patch lubricants. That's where the oil based or tallow based lubricants work best. In most hunting situations there will be few shots so fouling build up is not a real issue unless it is when using shot for wing shots on fowl.

Four sane reasons enough to give it a go?
That is four sane and well thought of reasons, I would probably give it a go anyways.

#1 Use spit patch because it wipes the bore with every load, and doesn't push any crud close enough to the breech to cause misfires.

#2 Spit patch holds several NMLRA national records. Good enough for them; good enough for me!

#3 You never leave it at home.

#4 It's free.

I know that this is an old topic and I have used all kinds of lube for my patches and in my simple head the thickness of the patch is more impotent than the lube is, in order to obtain accuracy. I just posted a video on my YouTube channel on home made patch lube and yes it works...! But why are so many of you partial to using spit patch? If`n ya-àll can give me sane reasons to use spit patches I might just change my practice for the future! Even as it can be hard after almost 30 years of shooting front stuffers..! And we just might help out some flatlanders or newbies in the process...!

Keeps me from having to lube so many patches.
But spit is only a good patch lube if the gun is to be fires within 5 minutes or so because it evaporates quickly.
I save my lubed patched for times when the gun is to remain loaded for a longer time.
Spit works great for a quick bore swabbing to clean every few shots, or between individual shots.

Perhaps I should say that I am referring to patches with actual spit on them, not the name brand Spit Patch that you buy in a bottle.

That is four sane and well thought of reasons, I would probably give it a go anyways.

#1 Use spit patch because it wipes the bore with every load, and doesn't push any crud close enough to the breech to cause misfires.

#2 Spit patch holds several NMLRA national records. Good enough for them; good enough for me!

#3 You never leave it at home.

#4 It's free.
I have a light gag reflex. Put a dry patch in my mouth and I want to YAK. I'll stick with pre-lubed oil patches. Semper Fi.

Back