• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch lube recipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I just made up a batch of my patch lube & would like to know if any of you have a favorite homemade recipe. I use 6 oz of beeswax, 8oz of Mutton Tallow, and 2 oz of Crisco. I melt all in a double boiler and pour the melt into tins for use or storage. I just wipe the patch on the mixture and have at it. I don't know how the lock got in there - it was supposed to be a container of lard :youcrazy: - OH, Well :shocked2:
DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

What kind of tins are those in the bottom picture? I have a bunch of Altoids tins around, but I don't like them and the hinges don't last long.

I like that combo as well.

...the round tins can be had from a shoe store, as shoe polish comes in those, some candies as well but usually the lids are stamped.

Brett

You can buy brand new empty tins at Smoke and Fire in Waterville, Ohio. They have about 3 different sizes.

I use bear oil and beeswax. it's even edible and you can grease your mocs with it too.

Olive oil and bees wax is all I use these days.

Where do you find a supply of mutton tallow??

So far Stumpy, I like your recipe best. I thought I'd give it a try when I ran out of Bore Butter.

And I keep it in tobacco tins. Enjoy the tobacco, and save the tins.

Cruzatte

Stumpy,
Do you have a cheap source for castor oil?

walgreens and walmart can provide the other components cheap, but castor oil runs on the high side.

Brett

I buy my tins and various containers from McMaster-Carr. They have many different cans, bottles, containers & such :thumbsup:

How many shots do you guys get with the various recipes before you have to clean? I am currently using Lehigh Valley lube and can shoot all day without having to swap the bore. Loading is just as easy with the last shot as it was with the first.

I Can't say for sure about how many shots. I use stumpys Moose Milk as a patch lube in a .40 flinter and usually shoot 30 to 40 shots at a time. Loads about the same on the last shot as at the second shot. First shot doesn't count as it is a clean barrel. Guess I could shoot allday if I was of that mindset. Use Moose Snot after cleanup for barrel protection. Never had a problem with rust. Target patches are damp to the touch, hunting I use Moose shot.
Fox :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input on tins, everyone. I had been poking around without much luck.

Just put up some Bear grease. I use tins for myself and a couple of friends but I found these cheap plastic ones great for give aways. :thumbsup:

beargrease1.jpg

Where can I find those clear plastic ones Swamp Rat?... here in Lower Michigan I hope?

I use the plastic clear round jars from here.
[url] http://www.specialtybottle.com/?gclid=CNbe5eyoyocCFSMvNAod7mi4Fg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Swamp Rat said:
I use the plastic clear round jars from here.
[url] http://www.specialtybottle.com/?gclid=CNbe5eyoyocCFSMvNAod7mi4Fg[/quote][/url]

Cool. Great web site... :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back