• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch/Cap box on a percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not an In-Line capper hung low around your Neck , theyre practical, safe and women find them attractive ......
And Condoms......
Over the Rifles muzzle .....
On rainy days.....or Goats intestines for authenticity....
i guess the first justifies the second?:D:D

If I am going to have a capper around my neck, then it's going to be this one.

1644341294596.jpeg

Much easier to use on a cap lock rifle than the in-line cappers.

If I am going to have a capper around my neck, then it's going to be this one.

View attachment 120692

Much easier to use on a cap lock rifle than the in-line cappers.

I've no idea what kind of in-line cappers you use over there, but the straight narrow channelled brass one I've used for years now has never let me down.

I use the cap boxes for a few caps, and a few patches and maybe a ball of it fits. A patch box which is bigger, holds some patching, a ball, a worm and sometimes a small flat turn screw. Works for me, to have those items on the gun when I am hunting. From the bench, I usually have everything spread out in front of me so don’t go into the cap or patchbox then.

Its a ‘nice feature’, like a sunroof on a car. I didn’t say patch boxes are actually useless, just unnecessary. To each their own.

I assume you have Traveled to the East if you know Hiram. 👍
Widows Son and JB67, I am a “traveling” poet 😎, and am currently abiding in the East this year…stop by if you are ever in my part of NC.

a percussion rifle with a patch/cap box, what do you carry in it (if anything)?
Spare nipple and a ball puller for that gun and rod. Other wise I think the purpose of them has been lost on us modern folk. We really don't need to use them.
There's nobody around to teach us how handy a patch box was to have and use, 🤔.
In the development of firearms, the military of the world didn't seem to have a need for them,, but with personal guns, they seemed to be common and many times very ornate

Widows Son and JB67, I am a “traveling” poet 😎, and am currently abiding in the East this year…stop by if you are ever in my part of NC.
My ‘mother’ is #9, in Idaho. I’ve been a member of my ‘sister’ #86 in Queensland Australia for a looong time.

Always glad to greet a Brother

I can understand about caps not fitting, I have had to find which caps fit which rifle.
I struggled with that too;
Rifle A,B,C,, each with nipples A,B,C,, caps for each A,B,C,,
That's when I became aware of caps not fitting.
Then I found out that nipple A, fit's cap B really well.

So I put nipple A on all the gun's, and bought a bunch of cap B.

Widows Son and JB67, I am a “traveling” poet 😎, and am currently abiding in the East this year…
Lewis here. You guy's, always talking code, Pop was 33rd, 50yr pin. He always came back to "traveling man". The times Dad was in the east,, I overheard him say once "Hold the gavel firmly, but tap lightly."
He gave his children foundation.

Its a ‘nice feature’, like a sunroof on a car. I didn’t say patch boxes are actually useless, just unnecessary. To each their own.

I assume you have Traveled to the East if you know Hiram. 👍

"Here's to the Sons of the Widow
Whenever wherever they roam
A speedy relief to their afflictions
And if they desire,
a speedy return to their home"
(Brother R. Kipling).

My ‘mother’ is #9, in Idaho. I’ve been a member of my ‘sister’ #86 in Queensland Australia for a looong time.

Always glad to greet a Brother

So Mote it Be.

The cap boxes I have seen on antique British made rifles are highly engraved and will sometimes take an old time tin of caps , I think these boxes were to fill in a space and show off some engravers skill . a little like false side plates on a modern s/s shotgun . After all one's gun bearer or Ghillie did the loading .

If you make one of those leather cappers ,just never put it in your back pocket .

Latest posts

Back