• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch/Cap box on a percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More “code” here 😎- PM of my “mother” #853 in Kentucky, 24 years later, I am in the East again at my “sister” #461 in North Carolina. Also, 25+ year member of AASR, ROS, etc. I had the distinct honor and pleasure to “raise” my son a year+ ago. He is the 5th (known) generation. Salve Fraters!

Good for you brother, my own family in the Craft go all the way back to the foundations.
Have your read "Born in Blood" ?
My Father (RIP) was a PM and then GL member, he lived interstate and I never let on I'd taken the first step. Well imagine the surprise on my third when my eyes were cleared to see one of the 6 there to raise me, was my Father !
He then proceeded to give me the Obligation, word perfect without prompting, we both had tears in our eyes.

Huh, had my bag hanging on the mirror of my truck while I was closing my gate. Neighbor came by with his grandsons. They walked over to look at it. One of them commented, "nice purse mister". Neighbor had to tell everyone about me carrying a purse.

Personally I’m thrilled that so many Travelers have greeted each other during this thread.

Respectfully though, it’s about patch boxes. Courtesy to the original poster and the forum management

Personally I’m thrilled that so many Travelers have greeted each other during this thread.

Respectfully though, it’s about patch boxes. Courtesy to the original poster and the forum management
Well…I’m the OP, and I’m one of the ones doing it, so…😎 I guess I could have called the thread “Esoteric Patch/Cap Boxes” LOL! Thanks, Brethren!

Having read through the entire thread, I just don't see anything suggested that one could carry in a patch box that isn't better kept in your possible bag. I look at them as "decoration". Some I have seen are works of art, so I guess that's reason enough to have one.

JB67, you must have a shorty capper. The ones that I have hold 15 - you can squeeze 16 or more in if you are determined.

I seldom keep anything in a patch box. But I do have this old original rifle with stuff in the patch box. Old patches, old caps and a couple old round balls that have turned white.
View attachment 120871
That’s a cap box, in that it’s not much bigger then a box of caps. While a patch box, is a pretty good sized box. I don’t think much of my cleaning kit would fit. But plenty of room there for a day in the woods.

Never have found anything in any of my originals when I acquired them.
I can carry’s all I need in a possibles bag to go afield.
Photo of one I took out hunting this fall.
6699C9C5-F642-48DA-8EA2-860396720075.jpeg

What is the cap box designed to hold or store? Most anything you can fit into it. The US model 1841 “Mississippi Rifle” had a small hole bored into the inside of the cap box that held an extra nipple.

Back