• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patch box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Can a patch box be installed into a finished stock without damaging the finsh? If so please give details.

Thanks-Flint50

Yes, I did it. But it takes extra care. :wink: I taped off the outline with masking tape (2 layers thick IIRC) and taped paper to cover the entire butt stock. There was a small area where the lid rubbed that I had to fix (side opening lid) but it wasn't too bad to add a little stain and finish. It turned out well, I think. It can be done, just be careful.

Flint50 said:
Can a patch box be installed into a finished stock without damaging the finsh? If so please give details.

Thanks-Flint50
I don't think I could do it, I'm pretty ham fisted when it comes to building guns.

I think the roughest part of doing this is getting the contour of the new patchbox to match the stocks contour so that it is flush with the wood in all places.

At least when I'm installing one, it seems that some adjustment needs to be made to the wood to get an absolutely flush condition and because you don't want to damage the existing finish that removes one of the easier ways of doing this.

As was said, it will take a lot of extra care and caution.

I'd agree, especially with a flat lid. Mine was a domed lid that I still had to put on the end of the vise and hammer/bend it a little to fit better.

I don't think I'd do it again without stripping the finish first and starting over.

"I don't think I'd do it again without stripping the finish first and starting over. "
-------
That's what I've told several people who wanted me to install patchboxes or cap boxes on their Lymans and CVA's.
Once told this they seem to loose interest.

Latest posts

Back