• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawman

32 Cal
Reaction score
I bought a tradition frontier a few years ago from a retired police officer, he said he had found the patch box metal detecting at a civil war battle site in Louisiana, engraving is done by hand for sure, anyone opinions on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210223-174527_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223-174527_Gallery.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 94
It looks a lot like the German Silver patch box I tried to order from Track (less that nice engraving) to add to my CVA Premier Grade Mountain Rifle.

Alas, Track CS told me they were sold out; and when I asked if/when they might be available again, was told they didn't when & if the person who made them for Track would do so again.

So, I ordered a German Silver patch box from Deer Creek (which was delivered in a few days) that has the same contours as the issue brass CVA patch box.

It looks a lot like the German Silver patch box I tried to order from Track (less that nice engraving) to add to my CVA Premier Grade Mountain Rifle.

Alas, Track CS told me they were sold out; and when I asked if/when they might be available again, was told they didn't when & if the person who made them for Track would do so again.

So, I ordered a German Silver patch box from Deer Creek (which was delivered in a few days) that has the same contours as the issue brass CVA patch box.

Thanks, that is interesting I think it is probably worth more then my rifle being its engraved. I Love the German silver furniture also and plan to use some in the future, I got a quote from Track the other day on a .32 Hawkin I am wanting to build.

Just for comparison, this is the patch box I wanted from Track

pb-ma-10-s_1.jpg

This is the one I got from Deer Creek

pb-cva-2-s_0.jpg

Not exactly the same but, it reminds me of the old west saying about a 40 dollar saddle on a 10 dollar horse.

I bought a tradition frontier a few years ago from a retired police officer, he said he had found the patch box metal detecting at a civil war battle site in Louisiana, engraving is done by hand for sure, anyone opinions on it.
It looks like the style of cap boxes sold by Tryon to builders and also used on the guns built by Tryon.
Tryon was a family that built a gun company in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania starting in the early 1800's and lasting into the early 1900's. The company built firearms for the military services, Government Indian guns and guns for the general public.
I have little doubt that guns from Tryon were used during the Mountain Man era thru the War Between the States.

Cap boxes and rifles in the Tryon catalog are shown on pages 36, 37 and 38 in the book, "THE PLAINS RIFLE", by Charles E. Hanson

It looks like the style of cap boxes sold by Tryon to builders and also used on the guns built by Tryon.
Tryon was a family that built a gun company in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania starting in the early 1800's and lasting into the early 1900's. The company built firearms for the military services, Government Indian guns and guns for the general public.
I have little doubt that guns from Tryon were used during the Mountain Man era thru the War Between the States.

Cap boxes and rifles in the Tryon catalog are shown on pages 36, 37 and 38 in the book, "THE PLAINS RIFLE", by Charles E. Hanson
Thanks for the great info, I am learning a lot from you folks, all sends me chasing information

Latest posts

Back