• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch box placement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks
Ive been looking thorough pictures of Lancaster rifles from various builders both original and new built. I was wondering is there a standard position for the PB to be inletted? Some seem to be quite far forward and others not so much.

Thanks

I think the forward/aft position of the patchbox is basically a function of the shape and length of the patchbox that's being used.

As for position, one rule to remember is a imaginary line thru the center of the lid (if it is a typical lid with a forward spring) should intersect the axis of the tumbler.

That ends up with the patchbox tilted slightly upward.

To get a good idea of this, look at the many examples on not only Lancaster's but on all of the Pennsylvania longrifles.

I start by "aiming" the Pbox so the tip of the finial points to the approx. center of the wrist. Sometimes this is violated a bit if it doesn't look right or if the Pbox is on the large side.

A far as the length....going too far forward into the wrist baluster can cause abrupt contours w/ the finial. As the Pbox is being designed, this should be considered and also the areas adjacent to the Bplate should allow some fore and aft movement.

After achieving the final Pbox design on paper, an overlay of tracing paper that has the design penciled on is positioned on the stock as per the first photo...it's moved around starting w/ the finial pointing to the wrist center and if this doesn't look just right, the tracing is moved until it does look right.

When the best position is found, the tracing is taped to the stock and orienting prick marks are made through the tracing for locating the actual Pbox.

To start the inletting, the finial is formed to the stock contour using the prick marks and the center screw holds it in position. Usually a groove has to be cut for the hinge. Once the finial is inletted, the lid is next followed by the sideplates.

The main point of all this is that it must look "right".Some other builders probably use a different system that works equally as well....Fred

Thanks very much.
Im working with an off the shelf Dickert daisy PB. I followed basically what Fred has described, it looked right when I layed it out and inletted far enough back not to interfere with the lines coming off the wrist. Now once I look at it at a distance it seems to far to the rear. If I can Ill try to get some pictures today

If you look at original examples, many of the "daisy headed" Pboxes look long and slender. Yours is a little stubby, but acceptable. Evidently you tried to avoid the wrist complications and while your wrist is long and well defined, many of the originals were not....enabling a longer "daisy" Pbox.

Judging from the present location, it could have been at least an 1-1/4" further forward and the more extreme curves of the wrist are something that must be contended with....one of the reasons why the terminations of the finials aren't very wide.

Don't fret....some of my early Pbox p;acements weren't nearly as good as yours......Fred

Thank you for the kind reply Fred. Yes, I was concerned with complications at the wrist and for my first attempt at inletting I though better to back it off a bit. Im sure I ll get it right with a "few" more builds.

Kelvin

Another way to decide on the patch box size and shape is by using the golden mean.

Patrick Hallam shows how to use the golden mean in his book "Seeing Through The Eyes of Yesterday" you can order it or just see one way to layout the patch box below.
http://www.hootalrifleshop.org/golden_mean.htm

Timothy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Timothy. Thats a lot easier than measuring various rifles off the internet. This method I will use next time.

Latest posts

Back