• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch box Inlet question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm installing a Bean style patch-box on a Kibler SMR. The patch-box is inlet flush, except in one spot, about 3/8" at the center front of the patch-box.
The metal is about a 1/16" lower then the wood. I think it's because of the curve in the profile of the stock. I did my best to try and match the profile. But, the patch-box is steel and doesn't bend very easy,
I'm afraid if I bend it anymore I'll create a gape around the inlet.
Would you bring the wood, in that small area, down to meet the metal or are there some else I should try?

Thank you. This really is my first kit build.
About a year ago I tried to build a rifle from parts I received from the wife of a friend that passed. But, at the time it was beyond my abilities.
This built seems to be going well, so far.
Hopefully what I learned from this Kibler kit build and the books I read will help me complete the one I started last year.
I have learned that my inletting skills have a long way to go, to be any where near the skills of the people on this forum.

The patch-box is inlet flush, except in one spot, about 3/8" at the center front of the patch-box.
The metal is about a 1/16" lower then the wood.
If the patch box is inlet flush except for being a 1/16” lower than the wood at the front, for me it’s time to bend the patch box. If you lower the wood you will have to blend it into the stock profile. Depends on how much wood you have left to remove.

Here's a little trick for bending patchboxes to fit your stock profile. You cam make an upper and lower swage from hard maple to match your stock. Place your box between the two swage pieces and squeeze them with your vice. This method won't leave any hammer marks in the box from bending.

Attachments

• 23800137_1987331354843710_1977921357525114404_o.jpg
    23800137_1987331354843710_1977921357525114404_o.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 0
I'll draw up a picture of the swage. I don't have one made at this moment. I make a new one from scrap wood as needed and then toss.

Here's a little trick for bending patchboxes to fit your stock profile. You cam make an upper and lower swage from hard maple to match your stock. Place your box between the two swage pieces and squeeze them with your vice. This method won't leave any hammer marks in the box from bending.
Could u provide photos and or detailed instructions on how to build the swage that is exactly like the gun stock?

I'll draw up a picture of the swage. I don't have one made at this moment. I make a new one from scrap wood as needed and then toss.
I’ve seen photos of them before but how would you go about duplicating them for your particular stock is what baffles me.

When I make my patch box I only worry about the hinge and finial matching my stock contour fairly close. I also put the bend in my hinge before cutting the knuckles. This way the hinge can have some bend and not bind or have gaps and still work. Since the butt stock has more than one radius to it and how a box will sit on a stock most box lids need a bit of twist along with a radius to lay right on the rifle.

Back