• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch and Roundball don't fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadShark

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi!

Was at the range a couple days ago to try my .54 Pedersoli Tryon. I used or rather I tried to use a .535 RB with a .025 patch. I was not able to even press the ball into the muzzle! I did not have a mallet with me so I didn't try hammering it in. Is this normal? Should I just try to use a .53 or even a .52 RB with a thicker patch?

Try the .530 with .012 or .018 patch. Or retry with the .535 with .012 patch.
The combo that your trying to use is defiantly to much for your bore.
I wouldn`t even try to hammer it down. May cause a much bigger problem. (Ball stuck half way down and no way to get it out).
MO

IMO, you don’t want to go to a thinner patch than .015.. if you do you will risk burning through it, .015-.018 patch is perfect for a 530 round ball, if your dead set on a 535 round ball, still try and use the .015 patch. It may be harder to start, but as long as you have a descent lube it should load “ ok”. Let us know how it all turns out

I had a similar problem with my .50 cal Frontier / Blue Ridge. I was using a .490 round ball and a T/C patch. This combo works great in my T/C Hawken but wow was a super tight fit in the Pedersoli.
Recomendations ?

One of my favorite mantras is "Do you have a digital Vernier caliper to be able to measure the land to land diameter and the groove to groove diameter of your barrel?"

Calipers are cheap and even the digital version offered by Harbor Freight is accurate enough for most of our uses. My Harbor Freight digital caliper gives the same measurement as my Tool Makers Vernier Caliper by Mituyoyo. I have also seen good values in calipers from sources such as MidwayUSA.
Calipers & Micrometers for Correct Sizing when Reloading Ammo (midwayusa.com)

The cost is less than the cost of a mold. The benefit is that your caliper can be used for many purposes and will help to select the most likely mold and selection of patch thickness. Sure you have to keep a supply of batteries on hand to keep them displaying measurements. The digital versions have the actual value to read out rather than having to count lines on a true Vernier caliper. At my age I find the digital read out less of a bother.

I had a similar problem with my .50 cal Frontier / Blue Ridge. I was using a .490 round ball and a T/C patch. This combo works great in my T/C Hawken but wow was a super tight fit in the Pedersoli.
Recomendations ?

I have the same rifle and have experimented with numerous options. At the end of the day, and thirty years later, I am still shooting .490 w/ .010 wonderlubed patches. I hit everything I aim at and that's good enough for me.

My .54 Hatfield halfstock likes a 535 ball and a .015 patch. I'm just finishing up a Lyman .54 and the rifling seems to a little deeper then the Hatfield so I'll have to experiment until I get it right. To me a .535, .025 combo seems a bit tight for most rifles.

I've read the Pedersoli guns have tight bores. I'd try a .530 ball and .015 or .018 patch.

I bought a .54 GM drop in for a TC I had, my first attempt at shooting was a .535 ball and a .015 patch, I couldn't drive it in with a hammer. I dropped the patch thickness to .012, still might tight but loadable, the patches burned holes in them when shot. I tried a .010 patch and the patches tore and burned.

I bought a .530 mold and used a .015 patch, the accuracy improved and I could re-shoot the patches if I chose to.

Bottom line, you have to try different things to see what works.

The secret to patch size is it is perfect that when you take a length of material and a ball, seat it and pull the material to remove the ball. you want to see some material marks on the lead from the groove bottoms. This will give a good seal to prevent a burn through. Thickness depends on groove depth but many new rifles have shallow grooves so a thinner patch or smaller ball is needed. Most of the old and best guns had grooves as much as .010" deep but some I have seen today are .003" or so.
What I use in my .54 will never enter a new rifle.
It would be a good idea to slug the bore to measure it. You can upset a soft ball and lube it good, drive it in a ways and pull it. Do NOT use one of those huge screw things you buy for a puller as it will expand the ball. I make mine with a very thin wood screw.

Finding the best ball/patch combo for your individual rifle can be a bit challenging. But, that is part of what this game is all about. Barrels, even factory made, can vary in size, performance and mood. You need to work up the load that the rifle wants.

My Pedersoli Tryon in .50 caliber is just the opposite in that a .490 ball with .015 patch practically fell down the bore. I went to a .495 with the .015 and that too was a loose fit. Tried the .495 with a .022 patch and it was only slightly snug. I finally tried a .500 ball with a .015 patch and it seems I hit the spot. A smart tap on the short starter and the ball goes down snugly for very fine accuracy. As one of the earlier posters said, you have to find what works in your gun, each one is an individual.

Hi!

Was at the range a couple days ago to try my .54 Pedersoli Tryon. I used or rather I tried to use a .535 RB with a .025 patch. I was not able to even press the ball into the muzzle! I did not have a mallet with me so I didn't try hammering it in. Is this normal? Should I just try to use a .53 or even a .52 RB with a thicker patch?
RTFM - A good place to start.
Page 6 -
.535 - .010 patch
Both of my pedersoli 54's work well with this.
Your .535 with .025 patch(x2) = .585
The .535 with .010 patch .535 with .010(x2) = .555
The difference is .030 - that's a lot of patch.

Attachments

• 9SUGGESTED BLACK POWDER LOADS.pdf
    180.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Back