Patch, And Ball Size Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Percussion Rifles' started by DevilsLuck, May 10, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 11, 2019 #21

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

40 Cal

90D48C98-6AA0-4497-83C5-8AF6F2DF62B1.jpeg
    Yes.

arcticap likes this.
  2. May 11, 2019 #22

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

50 Cal.

That is still a pretty swell looking rifle, plastic stock and all. I'd be proud to call it my own. It's possible you might be hearing from some of the other guys here on this forum though. Plastic is almost blasphemy to a handful of purists here.

3. May 11, 2019 #23

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

40 Cal

I can’t blame them. Plastic has no soul. But it was free.

Woodnbow likes this.
  4. May 11, 2019 #24

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

40 Cal

arcticap likes this.
  5. May 11, 2019 #25

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

40 Cal

FB315C3C-DEF5-41CC-A30D-A38B28AD4740.jpeg When cleaning; do I remove these two pieces?

6. May 11, 2019 #26

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

40 Cal

The lands measured .48, the grooves .51...

7. May 11, 2019 #27

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

In the picture, you show the breech of your rifle with the nipple and drum plug removed. That's all you need to remove to clean the rifle. There really isn't a necessity to remove the drum plug (some call it a clean out screw), but it won't hurt either unless the plug threads interfere with the nipple threads. Use anti-seize lubricant when replacing the nipple and plug. Tighten to snug is good enough.

Your bore measurements show a groove depth of 0.015". Good for cloth patches. If you shoot a bullet, you may find an over 'powder wad is necessary to limit gas cutting.

DevilsLuck likes this.
  8. May 11, 2019 #28

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

Earlier I mentioned CVA Deerslayer bullets, but the CVA owners manual for your rifle reminds me that they were called Buckslayer bullets.
    Here's a manual with a variety of maximum loads near the end.--->>> https://cva.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Side-lock.pdf

There may be other CVA barrels that fit that stock, and wood stocks that fit that barrel.
    The way to be sure is to measure the barrel diameter across the flats.
    The rifle is very similar to the CVA Bobcat which was a popular model sold by Walmart.
    The Walmart model was .50 cal. with a 1 in 48*: twist and could often be found for sale for $79 - $99 which made it popular.
    Now days they can cost more if found in good shape.
    CVA also made some Bobcat models with a wood stock in different calibers.
    Sometimes these rifles are parted out on eBay, often overpriced but still gives a person options if they want a different barrel or twist rate.
    Yours may have been sold by another major retailer and given a different name and faster twist rate.
    The manual even refers to one model as a "Bobcat Mountain Stalker" because they were pretty much the same rifle.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  9. May 11, 2019 #29

flntlokr

flntlokr

flntlokr

Pilgrim

Find some other ml shooters, and see what you can beg/borrow before you go off and buy a bunch of stuff you will never use. I have found most of the folks to be pretty accommodating. I note that it says right on the barrel to read the instructions; I would think that there are recommendations for loads in there somewhere. That fast twist suggests long projectiles. Good luck with the round ball 'tho. Some combination of load, ball and patch should work fairly well at least.

10. May 11, 2019 #30

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

40 Cal

Would definitely like a wood stock, over the plastic. If it’s not too pricey...

11. May 11, 2019 #31

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

40 Cal

It didn’t come to me with instructions. But Between member input, and the link Articap posted I’m sure I’ll come to some reasonable choices to get me started.

12. May 11, 2019 #32

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

40 Cal

So the powder types I currently have are appropriate for rifle?

Loyalist Dave likes this.
  13. May 11, 2019 #33

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

50 Cal.

I've never had any trouble with Pyrodex in my CVAs. Just please remember to clean it soon afterwards. All propellants are corrosive!

14. May 11, 2019 #34

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 Cal MLF Supporter

I'm no expert, but, here goes....
    Loyalist Dave gave a pretty good recommendation with the grain-per-caliber measure. But, would you happen to have any more info on the rifle? I have one that looks exactly like it(your rifle), save my rifle has a wood stock. Both rifles look to be the same length wise, in addition to shape and over all appearance. My rifle loves 60-65 grains (of real black powder) though.

Just a side note: I use 60-65 grains of real bp 99.99% of the time. The other 0.01% belongs to the gun when I double the charge (not recommended!:D). Unless you want a really big boom, a rush of smoke, and a actual recoil, I suggest you stay away from "big charges". I have done "huge charges", and those are a definite stay-away if you don't want a "kick in the teeth"!;)

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    DevilsLuck likes this.
  15. May 12, 2019 #35

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

They should be..., but again you may want to try 2Fg when you get the chance.

LD

DevilsLuck likes this.
  16. May 12, 2019 #36

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

Please be aware that all of the grain measurements we talk about are volume equivalent measurements. Muzzleloaders are charged with powder based on a volume that is equivalent to that weight of black powder. Pyrodex is much lighter (less dense) than black powder. Use a volume measure to load powder in your rifle.

17. May 12, 2019 #37

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

50 Cal.

Pyrodex is a less denser product than black powder. I'm no math whiz but that 65 gr. Charge of black powder would be about 58 grs. of Pyrodex. It is about 20% isn't it guys? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

18. May 12, 2019 #38

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

DevilsLuck

40 Cal

Thank you. I do. I have a measure, and I fill it to that level with both powders. Scale not used. I heard from research that even though “grain” is measured in weight; when in BP... Grain is a measure of volume, relative to volume of BP.

JB67 likes this.
  19. May 12, 2019 #39

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Actually, Pyrodex is close to 30 percent lighter than an equal volume of black powder.

That makes the volume of "65 grains of black powder" of Pyrodex weigh about 45.5 grains actual weight on a weight scale.

For those who aren't familiar with Pyrodex, although it actually weighs less than real black powder, it has about the same energy of an equal volume of black powder. That's why we can use a black powder, powder measure to load it with.

20. May 13, 2019 #40

JB67

JB67

JB67

32 Cal

Correct. Pyrodex and the other substitutes, as well as BP itself, are measured by volume. The manufacturers balance out the burn rates by of substitutes varying the texture and density of them. The volume of a grain is based on the volume of water weighing one grain.

arcticap likes this.