• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch and ball rifles are not ideal hunting rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveoko922

40 Cal
Reaction score
This threat is a statement as well as an open discussion. After 3 season hunting with various muzzloading arms, I've come to the conclusion that patch and ball rifles are inferior in every way to a rifled musket. If you are still using a patch and ball, GET RID OF IT. Your paying thousands of dollars for a inferior rifle. Get a military rifled musket!!!

A rifled musket has the advantage in potential range, speed of loading, and better sights. Why bother using a fixed sight, patch and ball for 50 yard shooting when I can have a conical firing rifle that can shoot 50 AND 300 yards?

This threat is a statement as well as an open discussion. After 3 season hunting with various muzzloading arms, I've come to the conclusion that patch and ball rifles are inferior in every way to a rifled musket. If you are still using a patch and ball, GET RID OF IT. Your paying thousands of dollars for a inferior rifle. Get a military rifled musket!!!

A rifled musket has the advantage in potential range, speed of loading, and better sights. Why bother using a fixed sight, patch and ball for 50 yard shooting when I can have a conical firing rifle that can shoot 50 AND 300 yards?
Interesting observation. Have successfully used patched round balls (45 to 62 caliber) for hunting whitetail sized game since the late 1970s, although I have to admit that I have also had good success with paper patched conicals. Curious as to how you came to your conclusion? And nothing wrong with going with what works for you.

Last edited:
?

Long range shooting is just making up for poor woodsmanship.

Totally disagree, have taken two or more deer per year, except one when down with bad back,
since the early 80's. til 2015 when I slacked off. And with 50 cal Hawken with Ball & Patch
in front of 75 grains of GOEX. Round ball is a great hunting round out to 100 yds with the
right boost behind it. Most of my shots are at 70-80 yds. Sure maybe the musket does a
better job on Elk or moose, but the deer I shot have no comment-- most died fast and humane.
For my guns I rarely paid over $350 range and hunt the muzzleloading season that I helped
lobby for in Florida. I rarely totally disagree, but here I have to since my hunting family takes
whitetail with Hawkens and mainly patched ball. Sorry but I'm not getting rid of my deer rifle for
any military musket. A patched ball in experienced hands is a very effective deer slayer.
PS: MY RIFLES ARE RIFLED

Last edited:
The patched round ball is just such an antiquated idea, even in a historical sense. Military muzzloaders of that era utilized superior projectiles in superior rifles in every sence of the matter, proving a silly lead ball wrapped in cloth is for backwoods hillbillies who can't shoot further than 50 yards.

i am a little confused why you would post this nonsense.

a military rifled musket has better sights?? than any other muzzleloader?
300 yards to hunt animals? with a muzzle loader? with a conical?

please show us the the VARIOUS types of muzzle loaders you have hunted with. i think a few of us would like to know how you scientifically came up with these facts.

if you are hunting 18th century traditional i don't think you would have been using a conical in your hunting rifle.

ou

The patched round ball is just such an antiquated idea, even in a historical sense. Military muzzloaders of that era utilized superior projectiles in superior rifles in every sence of the matter, proving a silly lead ball wrapped in cloth is for backwoods hillbillies who can't shoot further than 50 yards.
With that kind of attitude you might as well go get yourself a scoped unmentionable and leave all this silly, antiquated black power stuff to us hillbillies.

Last edited:
I'll shoot a deer at 100 yards with a round ball or a bullet or a sugar loaf or a picket or a Minie with various rifles of different calibers and types. But not a "conical", I just don't do that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back