• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Past Lyman plains rifle makers..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, I understand that lyman has changed hands, and quality several times with its plains rifle.

Can anyone tell me anything related to things like which company had the privilege to produce it during what years? Any material cuts and manufacturing shortcuts , and specifically, markings which identify who made it? Also, are all parts transferable between given plains rifles of the same ignition type and caliber?

Thanks

As far as I know they’ve always been made by investarms. They continue to be made by investarms with the exception of their signature series which is being made by pedersoli. The Investarms made gun is totally different from the Pedersoli gun. I’ve had both. Parts do not interchange. The Pedersoli Great Plains gun is pretty much the same as their Pedersoli Hawken.

I agree that it was always Investarms making the guns for Lyman. Pedersoli does it now and it's a much better gun. I just bought one.

I don't think Investarms makes anything for Lyman now.

Has investors changed much about their manufacturing process or material quality over the years?

Also, did lyman ever produce their own gun? Or is invest arms just incorporated by lyman?

There is no "S" on the end of Investarm, the company that made the Lyman Great Plains rifle & many other BP guns for many other importers. It is not InvestarmS & it is not InvestorarmS. It's an Italian company founded in 1975. The mis-spelling is so common place that if you google it the mis-spelling is what comes up! Go figure. Just an FYI. :dunno:

Oops. Sorry about that. I have had a lyman gpr for years. Shot with it yesterday and realized once again how much I enjoy the rifle and began wondering a bit about it. Then I realized how little I know about it other than how well it shoots. I bought it because it was clearly a good rifle. But as time went on I realized I dont know much about who made this wonderful half-stock that I came along and stole for $325 several years ago. I'm not even a fan of half stocks but I'll have to admit I have gotten more enjoyment out of pleasure-shooting this rifle than any that I own, or have owned.

The Lyman/Investarm GPR I had from 15 years ago was of much greater quality, fit, and finish than the train wreck Lyman/Investarm (2019) I just picked up.

Just bought a Lyman Plains rifle. It was manufactured in 1975. Probably built by Investarm. Looks in great shape. I'll know more when it arrives.

Just bought a Lyman Plains rifle. It was manufactured in 1975. Probably built by Investarm. Looks in great shape. I'll know more when it arrives.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211205-060741_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211205-060741_Chrome.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 53
I agree that it was always Investarms making the guns for Lyman. Pedersoli does it now and it's a much better gun. I just bought one.

I don't think Investarms makes anything for Lyman now.
According to the Lyman website, they still source their "Plains Pistol" from Investarms (though it does say out of stock).

That's an oldie there.They had that style with the big patchbox,before the GPR look we are now accustomed to.

Hey Rich - Saw you old post on your Lyman Plains rifle. I just bought one myself (mfg 1979). Mine is .54cal. It was advertised as a "Hawken". I'm trying to educate myself on this rifle, and not sure where to start; i.e., the difference in the Plains vs GPR, and what do some refer to them as Hawken in stile, etc. I just ordered a 1976 Lyman book hoping it will help with load information. How have you liked your Plains? Thanks

Hey Rich - Saw you old post on your Lyman Plains rifle. I just bought one myself (mfg 1979). Mine is .54cal. It was advertised as a "Hawken". I'm trying to educate myself on this rifle, and not sure where to start; i.e., the difference in the Plains vs GPR, and what do some refer to them as Hawken in stile, etc. I just ordered a 1976 Lyman book hoping it will help with load information. How have you liked your Plains? Thanks

Back