• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Passing on

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I’ve decided to pass on one of my percussion rifles to my stepson, I have a 54 cal renegade that I hope he will get to know and use. My wife and I both have TC Hawken rifles with stock 1-48 twist barrels. I picked up a number of Lee molds for both the .54 and .50 rifles but I’m looking for a better style of conical for my .50. I’m very interested in trying out the paper patch method and not sure where to begin. What conical dia should I seek out for paper patching a .50? And where can I order a mold for this project? Will a paper patched conical be accurate in a 1-48 twist stock TC barrel?
Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Trooper.

This post has some really good detail on page 2, some simple math to approximate the performance based on length to diameter ratio

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/...-twists-and-most-compatible-projectiles.55251
You'll see some calculations that I did based on my 1:48 barrel which should give you a good window into possible lengths. I'd say 0.720 inches is going to be around the maximum for 50cal with 1:48.

Didn't really answer your question, but might be part of the puzzle.

If you order from Accurate, make sure you know what lead alloy you want to use, it gets figured into the programming to cut the pattern.

I'd suggest going with the "down the middle" tolerance, the custom I had cut drops pure lead at +0.001 which is dead on the tolerance. I got it in aluminum and it is the highest quality machine work I've seen. Very easy to get good results.

Ron put me on to paper patching a couple years back and they shoot pretty darn good. I still use them occasionally but lately I've been working with a bullet cast from my Accurate mold - 340I bullet. Shoots just as well if not slightly better than the paper patched one. I'm currently in FL but I'll be heading back up north late next week and I can send you a couple of each to try.
BTW the paper patch bullet is a 11mm bullet (.443") and when patched ends up about .449". It loads with basically just the weight of the ramrod. The accuracy "throws out the window" that bullets have to load tightly to be accurate.

Ron put me on to paper patching a couple years back and they shoot pretty darn good. I still use them occasionally but lately I've been working with a bullet cast from my Accurate mold - 340I bullet. Shoots just as well if not slightly better than the paper patched one. I'm currently in FL but I'll be heading back up north late next week and I can send you a couple of each to try.
BTW the paper patch bullet is a 11mm bullet (.443") and when patched ends up about .449". It loads with basically just the weight of the ramrod. The accuracy "throws out the window" that bullets have to load tightly to be accurate.
The 340I and the 330 Goulds are two of the best deer hunting bullets for my Rice and TC barrels. They shoot pretty well in my Gibbs too.

Back