• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parts getting scarce?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IS it just me or are parts getting scarce.

A lot of venders are on backorder or out of stock on a lot of the furniture and parts. Many can not tell you when they plan to get more.

And the ones that are available are requiring more and more pelts to trade for!

I think that in addition to what you said, the majority of newer shooters are migrating toward the "black gun" side of muzzleloading.

I've been building guns for over 25 years. Today, there are more suppliers, with more parts than ever before.
The more interested you are in authenticity, the more difficult it will be to find those parts.
These are actually good problems to have. Suppliers and manufacturers are not going to stock parts that they can't sell. So the more specific the parts, the harder they are going to be to find.
Many are the times that you must make or modify an existing part to make it more like originals.
Back to price. A custom flintlock rifle in today's world is $1500 to who knows. All depending on authenticity, and labor, as well as the builders reputation.
Parts are going to be $800 to $2000, again, depending on how period correct you want to be.
Not bad considering a rifle gun would cost several months wages in colonial days. Today that would be a whole lot of money.
You won't see builders, or suppliers, or parts manufacturers getting rich today.
$1000 worth of parts, 150 to 200 hours of labor, and the world thinks you should be able to buy it for $600.
Sorry for the rant.
I relinquish the soap box.

I like what you said as it is very true. I often have to machine a tool to do a simple job that may never come up again. I don't know how many tools and fixtures I have on the wall that took hours to fabricate after figuring out what was needed to do a one time job that you will never be reimbursed for.
A good gun mechanic has to be machinist,welder,wood worker, metal finisher, wood finisher and some times physic to keep gun owners happy and they always want the work done fast and for nothing! :rotf:

I'm in the process of shopping for some sights and have encountered many "out of stock" situations. Don't know the reason but it is possible these come from one maker and he has fallen behind on making and delivering.

Back