• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Partial Flash

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete G

76 Cal.
Reaction score
I had something unusual happen last weekend at a re-enactment. Loading is done with a paper cartridge in the military fashion; the sequence is usually to tear the end from the cartridge, tap a few grains in the pan, close the frizzen and dump the rest down the bore. I had a charge that had a small flash and smoke but didn't ignite the main charge. When I looked at the pan, the prime was still there, but had a burned look across the surface. :hmm: I re-cocked and next time it fired normally. (Good thing too because the NDNs were already in the fort by that time.)

I have never even heard of such but attribute it to high humidity (upper 90's).
Anybody else ever had this happen :confused:

Incidentally, the powder was Goex 2F.

I've had it happen a couple of times, also during high humidity. Had you fired a lot of shots prior to this happening? The soupy gunk that accumulates in the pan spoils some of it I think.

Strangely enough, this has happened with 2F for me, but not 3F :idunno: Sort of goes counter to logic.

Back