• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Part? Need a spare bolt....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, couldn't find a 1/4" or .250" tip anywhere near as long as Capt Jas recommended.

However, 5/16" or .3125" diameter tips are available in 1 1/4" length that may/should help you out, depending on how long that cut section is on the rear end of the ramrod. You have to know the size of the Jags/Worms you have or want, before you order one.

Ramrod tip, 5/16" diameter, brass, concave end, 8-32 thread, 1-1/4" long - Track of the Wolf

Ramrod Tip, 5/16" diameter, brass, concave end, 10-32 thread, 1-1/4" long - Track of the Wolf

Gus

I've read through the whole thread. @Brokennock has some options, but the one he chooses is entirely up to him.

Regarding historically correct lockbolts for a French fusil, I browsed through Russel Bouchard's book, The Fusil de Tulle in New France 1691-1741, looking for images of lock bolts. He shows the sideplate side of two Tulle fusils de chasse on pages 23 and 25. Both appear to show bolts with plain, dome-shaped heads, similar to the Tulle lock bolt offered by Track of the Wolf (Lock Bolt, Tulle Fusil, 8-32 thread):

bolt-l-8-r_1.jpg

I don't know about French guns, but lot of original flintlock rifles had tapered tips on their ramrods. It is my understanding that the originals were made of heavy sheet stock, rolled into an elongated cone and brazed. People who make them now seem to turn them from solid stock, as far as I know. You can get tapered, threaded tips from Brad Emig (Cabin Crrek Muzzleloading), Larry Callahan, and Dave Crisalli (The Lucky Bag). I think Dave may offer the most options, and I'll bet he may even be amenable to making a custom tip. His tapered tips in 5/16" diameter are 3" long, which should give maximum taper:

RamrodTip1sm.jpg

It sounds like the way to go might be to get a couple of the Tulle bolts from Track and a tapered tip from Dave Crisalli, and file the shallowest-possible notch in the bolt.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Tapered Iron Ram Rod Tips – Cabin Creek Muzzleloading

and:

We have made several types of traditional and custom ramrod tips for customers. Here is a very traditional tapered steel tip for either a 3/8 inch or 5/16 inch ramrod with a female thread in the narrow end for cleaning tools. These can be made in brass as well and with or without the decorative band.

THE LUCKY BAG

Gus

Back