• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Parrot Vise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I've had one of these for many years and they are great for some tasks but the pivot feature does not lock in place so they pivot under force. That can be a pain in the A. They are no substitute for a solid machinist's vise for metal working.

dave

I had one. Used it for a while, got rid of it. Too wobbly. Not saying it’s useless, it just did not work for me.

I own one, among other vises. It's a specialty vise that will do things that other vises will not.
It's useful for light duty work, but I prefer my old Record #5 machinist vise for most tasks. Usually with leather-faced plywood insert jaws.

My vice was purchased over 30 years ago, from the local hardware store. There is no name on it anymore and I don't remember any name. I think that I paid $50 for it. the jaws are 6inches across and it weighs about 50 lbs. . I have taken a WWI German Mauser barrel out of the receiver with it. Built muzzleloader rifles with it. I do have a couple of small vises for light work. I find it easy to adapt the big vise to do smaller jobs.

Hi,
I've had one of these for many years and they are great for some tasks but the pivot feature does not lock in place so they pivot under force. That can be a pain in the A. They are no substitute for a solid machinist's vise for metal working.

dave
I bought the parrot vise for smaller tasks exactly. It will hold a gunstock and will pivot too. It will also be good for holding pieces of brass for inlays along with other small items. I'm going to make a base for it that I can clamp in the front vise of my woodworking bench. Then when not needed I just take it out. I have a larger machinist vise but it is not at all portable!

The original version of that was the Versa Vice. I have one and liked using it. But my son broke it by being too energetic tightening it. Great for moderate woodworking use but beyond that get something sturdier.

Received my Parrot vise today. I know I'm going to like it. Although I have a large machinist vise, I needed something smaller and versatile. Quickly found that it doesn't need to be cranked down on to hold small objects. It locks in place with minimal pressure. I see that Jim Kiblers' workshops uses them. I'm happy.

I made a sub base for my parrot vise. Now I can just put it into the front vice of my bench when needed.

Attachments

• 20201213_130600.jpg
    20201213_130600.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 20201213_130547.jpg
    20201213_130547.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 122
Hi,
They lock down fine for most tasks, but as I wrote, they will move under heavy force, which can be aggravating. However, for lighter duty they are fine. I've had and used mine since 1984.

dave

I needed a vise that was versatile but wouldn't break the bank. With the parrot vise I can work on a gunstock or do metalwork. Found a parrot vise @ Grizzly Industrial that filled the bill. $62.00 + shipping.
https://images.app.goo.gl/nRx1Qj2LP5BV7TGN7
The Versa Vise, sold by Brownells, I think, locks tight horizontally and vertically with minimal clamping pressure. Iv’e had mine for years and would be up a stump without it. They are quite pricy these days though.

A rock solid work bench that won't move on you is every bit as important as a solid vice.
I do have one. Mine is made of laminated red oak with heavy front and end vises. Holes for bench dogs also. This thing doesn't budge. Being a woodworker I have to have a bench that won't wobble or walk around the room. I use my Stanley hand planes a lot. From a #3 thru #7. Material must be held firmly. I've made two of these benches in my lifetime. The first one I sold before moving across country . . . Big mistake! Drat! Colonel Batguano is absolutely correct. A vise is only as good as the bench it's mounted to.

I got one from Steve Wright (I think his first name was Steve) in the early 80's. It was OK but as said above it moves when some moderate to heavy force is applied. It is best for light work. I did buy a second one and used the two in tandem which also did OK - BUT --- well it got to be a PITA so I went back to a single sturdy machinist vise.

Back