• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

parlor pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enfield

40 Cal
Reaction score
Dear forum members
In my collection of target and duelling pistols from ca 1800 - 1950 , I have four original vintage parlor pistols , or , as they are called here in Germany and Switzerland , "Salonpistolen" . These were the percursors of the ca 20 years later invented , inmentionable Flobert pistols .

They were used solely for the purpose of shooting at targets or the like in the living room "Salons" of the after 1848 newly emerged middle class in Switzerland, but also to a lesser extent in Austria, Germany and France.
All of them shoot but greased round balls of ca 5mm and cap only , but without a BP charge. Although they are all muzzle-loaders , all of them are all something like "inlines".
Up to a distance of about 10 yrds , they shoot quite accurate and with lots of fun .

If the one or the other of You should be interested , I'd try to get better pictures , also any questions are welcome .

Salonpistolen.jpg

The entire system is quite simple : the "sliding hammer" is pulled back with help of its "cross bolt" , until the rear hinged hook can engage up in front of the hammer . When entering in front of it , the rear end of the hook lowers and engages a tiny notch , which is filed into the spring trigger . The front hook , being out of center of the sliding hammer , will be pressed downwards by the heavy coil spring , which serves as main spring . But as long , as the rear end of the tilting hook is engaged in the sear notch of the trigger , it can't move . But the lightest touch to the trigger would let the pistol go piff . The whole thing is somewhat like a set trigger , and such it handles , too , with a minimum of trigger weight .
You have to be very careful , when placing the cap , since the trigger is already set :ghostly::ghostly::ghostly:

This entire pistol , made and signed by famous Jean Siber à Lausanne , has a neat little feature for easening the loading process and also for some added safety :

The rear end of the barrel is sealed with a rotating , drilled through cylinder , taking the nipple on the rear and the RB on its front . For loading , it can be turned 90° anticlockwise , the muzzle end then interfering with a "loading hole" on the barrel top face , into which the RB can be dropped , fitted on the underside is the nipple , waiting for its cap . After cocking , the cylinder is rotated back and the little gun is ready to shoot .

Neat , isn't it ?

20201123_124552.jpg
20201123_124622.jpg
20201123_124656.jpg
20201123_125007.jpg

I’ve thought the reproductions I’ve seen would be way too cool (wouldn’t get the percussion cap version since those seem harder to find once again), but they definitely pale in comparison to the real deal! Such nice looking pieces!

They make me think of the scene in "The Thin Man" when he shoots Christmas balls off the Christmas tree with a B B gun. Nice collection thanks for sharing.

Our family lore tells of a young relative getting a bb gun for Christmas. One uncle was playing with it and another bent over with a chair covering most of his behind and asking the other to see if he could hit the chair. Of course he missed by a fraction of an inch to catch the overhang. So much for parlor games.

Our family lore tells of a young relative getting a bb gun for Christmas. One uncle was playing with it and another bent over with a chair covering most of his behind and asking the other to see if he could hit the chair. Of course he missed by a fraction of an inch to catch the overhang. So much for parlor games.

Upps ! What might tell us this story ? NEVER , NEVER aim at something like humans , Your own cattle , or beloved animals , even with a parlor or toy gun !!! They REALLY hurt , if not worse !!!

Fortunately , he hit a back only , it could have come much worse ! Stupid idea !

As the story was told to me the "miss" was no accident and almost resulted in fisticuffs and lots of laughs by observers as they suspected the shot would go awry.

Latest posts

Back