• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker hale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ss1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Parker Hale [ gibbs rifle co. ??],BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND, 3 band, 1853 enfield, 58cal, NEW. Does anyone have any infomation, or has shot one? thanks in advance.

ss1 said:
I have a Parker Hale [ gibbs rifle co. ??],BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND, 3 band, 1853 enfield, 58cal, NEW. Does anyone have any infomation, or has shot one? thanks in advance.

You can check the following link out...
[url] http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=951[/url]

I have shot one of these guns and it really shot amazingly well. It's also totally & absolutely awesome how a 500gr Minie and 60gr of FFg Black Powder makes one devastating load!

I have no doubt that there are MANY on the forum that can provide you with more (and better) information than I can--regarding the '53 Enfield.

Regards, and shoot safely... enjoy your new rifle!
WV_Hillbilly

Last edited by a moderator:
The English guns are beautifully made and accurate. My '53 likes a 560 grain Minie and 70 grains of ffg GOEX. You'll find that these rifles are fine target guns and excellent hunting companions.

See the following pages from my web sites:

Parker-Hale Information: www.lrml.org/parkerhale/index.htm

Historical Information on the Enfield: www.researchpress.co.uk/firearms/britain/enfield/index.htm

Shooting the Enfield: www.researchpress.co.uk/targets/musketry/enfieldmanagement.htm

David

Mine is a reproduction ! NO marks of any kind on or under barrel, except "PARKER HALE LTD BIRGHAM ENGLAND and a serial #. No proof marks or country of orgin. Called dixie, "no problem". What do you think? My best guess , Gibbis Rifle co., USA ??

England may be the country of origin. I believe some Gibbs rifle muskets used English barrels. I'm not sure about the later guns.

The absence of proof marks is confusing. Before small arms can be sold in the UK they must have been proofed. I don't know enough of the laws here as to how that applies to exported barrels. It may be a P-H made barrel that was exported before a breech plug was fitted?

David

I did a google search for "parker hale gibbs rifle co.", got a ton of informarion. Gibbs [usa]bought out parker hale, had rifles and/or barrels built from origional "guages" in US or UK, later rifles barrels were made in Italy.This could explain , no country of origon, and no proof marks

The Italian rifles will have proof marks on them. I don't have my '53 at hand at the moment, but I think there is a black powder proof mark on the barrel just ahead of the tang.

gibbs used the same "guages and tools" from the Tower Of London that Parker Hale did but don't think they fitted their guns with progressive rifling. Not sure how much difference this would make at the range though.

Back