• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Parker-Hale Musketoon and mis-shaped swaged bullets...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As some of you here know, I have a genuine, Made-in-England Parker-Hale Musketoon, bought many years ago from a friend who was also a dealer - in fact, more than half of my guns came from him. Thanks, Norman.
1619636446334.png
1619636828118.png
1619637294882.png
1619637117061.png
1619637219039.png
It is my usual 'give-a-noob a shot', since it produces capacious amounts of recoil, flame and smoke - in that order - see -

and

Well, a friend of mine, who makes bullets, sent me some to try that still had the swaging riser on the top - adding about 8gr to the weight, as well as giving them a decidedly odd appearance. As such, they weigh in at a decidedly porky 590g and have a hollow base, into which I smeared an amount of Bore Butter, even at the ludicrous UK price, and tried them out in the Musketoon this morning.

Here is the result from 100m/110yds. The first five were shot with 60gr of Swiss - equivalent to 2Fg - and the second with just 50gr of the same - the group is a deal tighter, I think you'll agree. In fact, it's about 2.5 MOA - well within the 10-ring - IF I'd hit it, that is. :dunno:
1619636668536.png
While it won't win me any matches, for sure, you really would not want to try your luck by standing in front of me at that distance either. I KNOW they are all off to the left - I really have no idea why - the sights are perfectly lined up fore and aft, and AFAIK the barrel is not bent. Doesn't matter who shoots it, either. Hmmmmm.

It was real fun, too.

I use 44 grs of Goex FFFg and a 500 gr minie in my P-H carbine. It shoot centre at 50 and 100 yards. Many tiles and clay birds died with that load.
I let the ladies try the carbine at the NRA Women On Target course at my local R/P club.
And why, oh why are you blowing down the barrel? Rather bad form there.
IMG_1280[282].JPG

Last edited:
My two band shoots to the left too at both 50 and 100x. Last time out I used made - up cartridges with 45g Swiss 2. This produced a 5” group at 100. I don’t lube the base but use a 70/30 Trex/bees wax dip lubed into the grooves. cast bullets swaged down to 7’ under bore size. HTH?

Back