• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Parker Hale Enfield 1861 - a couple of questions please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a PH Musketoon a couple of days back.
The gun is in great overall shape and seems to be the English made version and done little work but:
1.) The trigger is terrible I have stoned the sear so it is creep free and slimmed the sear spring done from 51 though to 45 though but the trigger must be 10 pound or more. The sear spring is still way to strong. Is it safe to thin it down further or do I stop now????
2.) The Barrel Band screwheads are mauled (shame really), will Pedersoli screws fit?

I doubt very much a Pedersoli screw will fit. Parker Hale were notorious for using non standard threads.
If you got the creep gone on the sears a wee bit more should lighten the feel too.
I avoid lightening springs unless really stupid heavy.
I only worked the sears on my two Parker Hales.

If an English made P-H, shouldn't the threads be Whitworth? If Italian made, then I would expect Metric
From the Parker Hale side. If it is a standard thread then it would likely be BSWhitworth or BSF. But as Britsmoothy says it may not be standard.

From the Pedersoli side it depends how keen they were to match the originals that came out about the time Whitworth threads originated but were made on American machines. But more likely they would be Metric as Pedersoli's generally are.

Hence the hope for someone who has the knowledge.

I only worked the sears on my two Parker Hales.
What sort of trigger pull did you get? I am not keen on doing any more to the sear and have ordered a Pedersoli Sear spring so I have one to butcher.

It was a while ago now. It was certainly a lot better!
Nearly every firearm manufacturers make their sears like hooks now.
One is actually camping the main spring during operation!
The sear springs on trad locks are quite heavy and in the wrong place for fine tuning but in all honesty a few more strokes on the sears with a fine stone maybe all you need.

Britsmoothy is right - IF it is a real P-H Musketoon and not a post 9000 serial number gun. The nearest thread-form is BSF, although you might just get away with BSC - neither of which are common in the USA. To retain the value of the piece I'd contact either Peter Dyson or Henry Krank here in UK for the proper item.

Please note that from the beginning of production right to the end, P-H NEVER used Metric anything - and nor did Enfield in the originals, notwithstanding that much of the production machinery originally came from Eli Whitney in the USA.

I've just called Matt at Henry Krank's huge gunstore in Pudsey, West Yorkshire. He has TWO types in stock - the one that YOU need is the partially-threaded item. The other type, threaded all the way up to the head, is not usually fitted to the Musketoon - I've just checked my own.

They are £3.55 each, and he is happy to send them to you, in return only for money. :)

Henry Krank's phone number is 44-1132-569-163 - ask for Matt.

The website, if you want to order them that way, is [email protected]

Last edited:
Please note that from the beginning of production right to the end, P-H NEVER used Metric anything - and nor did Enfield in the originals,

Thanks Tfoley
The Musketoon is in the 6000's so definitely PH made.
I know that PH used imperial and would obviously prefer original PH replacements but I am in Australia so will take what I can get.
I was wondering if Pedersoli replicas were HC enough to also use imperial threads on their Enfields becasue those I can get.

I just found the Henry Krank website so will see whats there.

Again Thanks!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!
I owe you big time

I've just called Matt at Henry Krank's huge gunstore in Pudsey, West Yorkshire. He has TWO types in stock - the one that YOU need is the partially-threaded item. The other type, threaded all the way up to the head, is not usually fitted to the Musketoon - I've just checked my own.

They are £3.55 each, and he is happy to send them to you, in return only for money. :)

Henry Krank's phone number is 44-1132-569-163 - ask for Matt.

Thanks Tfoley
The Musketoon is in the 6000's so definitely PH made.
I know that PH used imperial and would obviously prefer original PH replacements but I am in Australia so will take what I can get.
I was wondering if Pedersoli replicas were HC enough to also use imperial threads on their Enfields becasue those I can get.

I just found the Henry Krank website so will see whats there.

Again Thanks!

Living in Australia I reckon that there is nobody there who give the square root of b****r all if the unseen threads on an otherwise replication of a gun made in 1861 are HC or not. The thing itself is indistinguishable from an original, in any case, apart from having Parker-Hale in a cartouche on the butt.

I currently shoot a PH Musketoon in N-SSA. Like ADK, my trigger is a solid 3lb and scary accurate.

Good rabbit load....oops, did I say that out loud...🤫

Please be careful, Britsmoothy, bearing in mind that the ability to haul down a post here is very limited timewise. IF you have a smooth-bored barrel, then shot is fine, but not a single projectile - here in UK, that is.

Note also that these pages, with so many non-US posters, are almost certainly looked at by somebody in a darkened room here in UK.

Please be careful, Britsmoothy, bearing in mind that the ability to haul down a post here is very limited timewise. IF you have a smooth-bored barrel, then shot is fine, but not a single projectile - here in UK, that is.

Note also that these pages, with so many non-US posters, are almost certainly looked at by somebody in a darkened room here in UK.
Sure, that's what the 06 is for because everyone knows it's much safer 👍
PS.... don't tell Brian! 🤫

Back