• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Parker - Hale 1858

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My favorite " Den of Iniquity" got me again...
Got a first gen P58 for $650. Serial # 399x.
Overall, I'd say she's an 85% rifle. A few stock dings and finish wear from cap blast.
The metal is all excellent with nearly 100% bluing and a nice patina on the brass.
The bore, so far, has patched orange, but no visible pitting yet. I'm suspecting oxidized bore butter. I've seen the appearance before. The front sight is a replacement. Looks like the base was slotted and a new blade pinned in.
The lock is greased glass slick and the trigger is outstanding.
This is my first PH and I've always wanted a P58. The 1-48 twist is very good for my needs. One of my old Lyman 575213OS is a rather tight fit. They drop at .5755 so a sizer might be in order.
I just picked her up and will post some pics after I get home and give her a good cleaning. There seemed to be a bit of crunch by the breech. I hope I caught her in time!

Here she is!
Her bore cleaned up very nicely. No more crunch and no visible pits. Huzzah! But, the rifling is SO shallow! I can feel the effects of the progressive depth rifling, with a tight patch. But out to the muzzle, it seems barely there. I did a quick and nasty check with my calipers, measuring barrel thickness at land and groove. Got .005 difference, but DANG they look Marlin micro groove shallow! My Euroarms P53 looks like ball rifling by comparison!
Unfortunately, the lock and bolster are in hard contact. Also, with the bands tightend up so as not to slip, it's impossible to draw the rammer.
Will have to correct both faults before getting her dirty.
Bottom of the barrel has the usual markings. It states .577 538 grain bullet, a black powder proof ( crown over bp) the dram load and another small circular mark that I cant quite make out the inner details.
The pic of the front sight shows the blade and pin modification.
Overall, she has been shot, but notna lot judging by the bluing around the nipple.
Cap blast scours that pretty quickly.
I'm happy my 5752130S seems to give proper diameter minies. Molds are hard to come by. And expensive.
I was thinking of looking for a TC Big Boar. But. Why when I could have a fine and proper .577 for about the same money?
Now my beloved P53 has a little sister. She'll be a fine bear gun...

Attachments

• 20220208_103919.jpg
    20220208_103919.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220208_103622.jpg
    20220208_103622.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220208_103718.jpg
    20220208_103718.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220208_103512.jpg
    20220208_103512.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220208_103502.jpg
    20220208_103502.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220208_103448.jpg
    20220208_103448.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 34
Here she is!
Her bore cleaned up very nicely. No more crunch and no visible pits. Huzzah! But, the rifling is SO shallow! I can feel the effects of the progressive depth rifling, with a tight patch. But out to the muzzle, it seems barely there. I did a quick and nasty check with my calipers, measuring barrel thickness at land and groove. Got .005 difference, but DANG they look Marlin micro groove shallow! My Euroarms P53 looks like ball rifling by comparison!
Unfortunately, the lock and bolster are in hard contact. Also, with the bands tightend up so as not to slip, it's impossible to draw the rammer.
Will have to correct both faults before getting her dirty.
Bottom of the barrel has the usual markings. It states .577 538 grain bullet, a black powder proof ( crown over bp) the dram load and another small circular mark that I cant quite make out the inner details.
The pic of the front sight shows the blade and pin modification.
Overall, she has been shot, but notna lot judging by the bluing around the nipple.
Cap blast scours that pretty quickly.
I'm happy my 5752130S seems to give proper diameter minies. Molds are hard to come by. And expensive.
I was thinking of looking for a TC Big Boar. But. Why when I could have a fine and proper .577 for about the same money?
Now my beloved P53 has a little sister. She'll be a fine bear gun...
My Euroarms has the PH progressive rifling and loves a big minie! Happy shooting.

. .. . But, the rifling is SO shallow! I can feel the effects of the progressive depth rifling, with a tight patch. But out to the muzzle, it seems barely there. I did a quick and nasty check with my calipers, measuring barrel thickness at land and groove. Got .005 difference. .. .
That's correct for the P.58 Naval Rifle, 0.013" deep at the breech and 0.005" at the muzzle.

David

Well, it had to happen. Even my.luck can run out.
Gave her another good cleaning and it revealed a rough section right at the ball seat...
The shop took the rifle back. Good folks.

Back