• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker hale 1858 2 band

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello chaps, well I feel like a kid at Christmas and wanted to show a new acquisition. It's a parker hale 2 band Enfield and I can't wait to shoot it. I'm in England and trying to find a source of 577 minie balls is proving quite hard so I may have to resort to using roundball for the time being. Anyways here it is alongside my 58cal 1841 mississippi smoothbore repro made by bernardelli. If any members from the UK could point me in the direction of some minie ball it would be greatly appreciated
IMG_20190820_212442.jpg
IMG_20190820_120754.jpg
IMG_20190819_173451.jpg

Back in 1980 when Parker Hale was making these 2 band, 1858 Enfields, Dixie Gun Works was asking $245 for them.

Factoring in inflation that would be $808 US (201.83 pounds sterling) today.

I think the fact that the Parker Hale is the only reproduction that was made using the original gages and the fact that it is no longer in production has kept it's value up where it is.

I own the Parker Hale Musketoon, 2 band and 3 band rifled muskets and they are all excellent guns.

As for shooting patched roundballs, due to the very shallow rifling grooves in these guns, the ball must be tightly patched to give it good accuracy.
Also may I suggest keeping your eyes open for a Lyman # 2650213 bullet mold which casts a # 575213PH Minie Ball expressly made for the Parker Hale Enfield's.
This bullet weighs 566 grains and is usually shot with a 60-65 grain powder load.

Very very nice, I have the P-H .451 Volunteer and 2 of the Musketoons.

I don't know what they'd hit you for shipping but Dixie has .575 and .577 Minies for $50 per 100, unsized. Given that most places hit you for nearly a buck a pop (American $) this is the beat deal I've found on Minies. I simply hot dip lube them and use a push thru .575 sizer.

Also check out paper cartridges. Com for premade Pritchett cartridges, I'm sure you can work out a way to get them shipped to the UK.

I have very successfully fired .570 round ball through my Musketoons and it's very accurate albeit not "historically correct".

Hello chaps, well I feel like a kid at Christmas and wanted to show a new acquisition. It's a parker hale 2 band Enfield and I can't wait to shoot it. I'm in England and trying to find a source of 577 minie balls is proving quite hard so I may have to resort to using roundball for the time being. Anyways here it is alongside my 58cal 1841 mississippi smoothbore repro made by bernardelli. If any members from the UK could point me in the direction of some minie ball it would be greatly appreciated View attachment 13762View attachment 13763 View attachment 13764

I'm in the UK, AND I shoot a two and three-band Enfield and Musketoon. AND I have the mould, and use it. :)

Where are you located?

PM me if you are shy...

Casting your own is the way to go, I'm looking into how to get started on this with my limited space.

Otherwise you're just paying someone else to cast for you. A lot of the fun of shooting blackpowder weapons is being largely self sufficient. All you really need to obtain is powder and raw lead, and either caps or flints.

I'm not about to start making my own powder but people do.

While I'm in the US, I have one that I shoot in North South Skirmish competition. With an RCBS Hogdon minie, it's a sub 2moa tack driver

Don't forget that P-H also made a two-band rifle in .451cal. They called it the Naval Rifle. If you ever go on-board HMS Warrior in Portsmouth, you will see rack after rack of these lovely rifles, all missing their foresights. Just in case you ever wondered where around 500 of them had gone.........

Don't forget that P-H also made a two-band rifle in .451cal. They called it the Naval Rifle...
The .577 rifle at the top of this thread is what Parker-Hale marketed as the 1858 Naval Pattern Rifle. The .451's were either the Volunteer or Whitworth.

David

Back