• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CLOSED Parker hale 1853 reproduction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey all,
I’m new to muzzleloading and reenacting but was advised that a Parker Hale reproduction of the enfield 1853 is about the best quality repo you can get. I had found one previously but did not have the funds. However today I now have the funds. So if you have one that you want to part with please let me know. Thanks and have a blessed day

I saw an 1858 (“two-bander”) on Gunbroker today. If you aren’t committed to the p1853 for reenacting or some other reason you might consider the 1858. I understand that they’re more accurate. It could be due to the faster rifling (1:48) although I’ve been told that Parker Hale also made the 1853 with a 1:48 twist for the US market. I had an early serial number, Birmingham made, and it was in 1:48.

I saw an 1858 (“two-bander”) on Gunbroker today. If you aren’t committed to the p1853 for reenacting or some other reason you might consider the 1858. I understand that they’re more accurate. It could be due to the faster rifling (1:48) although I’ve been told that Parker Hale also made the 1853 with a 1:48 twist for the US market. I had an early serial number, Birmingham made, and it was in 1:48.
I saw that as well. I would prefer at 2 banded one but the reenactment guys said I need a 3 band to be uniform in manual of arms. At some point I will add a 2 band. Thank you for the heads up.

I saw that as well. I would prefer at 2 banded one but the reenactment guys said I need a 3 band to be uniform in manual of arms. At some point I will add a 2 band. Thank you for the heads up.
Is this the North South Skirmish Association? If so where on their page do I find classifieds?

I had an 1853 Parker Hale that I had defarbed by Todd Watson. My understanding is that the PHs are better representations of an 1853 Enfield Type IV, which didn’t see use in the ACW but I could be remembering wrong or simply have misunderstood. When I thought I would be doing some reenacting I bought a used Armi Sport and had it defarbet by Todd. My plan was to use it in my presentation and shoot the PH.

Alas, events took me away from re-enacting but I kept the Armi Sport (just in case) and later traded the PH. I immediately regretted it but I consoled myself by picking up the p1858 PH that I have now. All this is a long way of suggesting that you consider picking up am inexpensive p1858 3 for the reenacting and get either a p1853 or p1858 Parker Hale for the shooting. But of course this doesn’t address costs and availability…

Last edited:
I know it's not exactly what your lookin for, but I have an Euroarms of America 1858 2 band Enfield if interested. One small dent in the wood about 1/4" square, otherwise 99%.

The odds of a Forum member owning a Birmingham produced P53 , let alone one looking to sell one are pretty low

GunBroker will almost always have a Birmingham produced Enfield "Musketoon" since they are WAY more common than the P53's.

Regarding defarbing the Parker Hale P-53, Todd Watts can turn it into an awesome representation of the London Armoury, LSA Co, P53 which was a Type IV and shipped to the south.

That’s exactly what Todd did for mine. I just sent to him my PH p1858 for him to work his magic.

Parker Hales are great shooters, but not the best reenactment guns. The P58 was not imported in any significant numbers during the War. Almost all short Enfields imported were P-56s which had all iron furnature and a different sling swivel arraingment. As someone else mentioned the PH P-53 is of the 4th Pattern. Almost all of the P-53s imported were 3rd Pattern which had different band, side lock washers and Butt stock shape.

Parker Hales are great shooters, but not the best reenactment guns. The P58 was not imported in any significant numbers during the War. Almost all short Enfields imported were P-56s which had all iron furnature and a different sling swivel arraingment. As someone else mentioned the PH P-53 is of the 4th Pattern. Almost all of the P-53s imported were 3rd Pattern which had different band, side lock washers and Butt stock shape.
I’m aware there are some differences that I will eventually be de farbed by lodgewood. However, I don’t have a ton of money to throw at this so I wanted a shooter as well as a period correct rifle and so I’ve been told PH is about the best of both worlds

I have one on gun Broker. I might take a little less without the fees. The stock has way more handling marks than I would have liked to see but the bore is like a mirror! Feel free to make me an offer, outside of the GB system, that is.

1858 2-Band Enfield 58 caliber Rifle by Parker Hale – FREE SHIPPING! - Black Powder Rifles & Muzzleloader Rifles at GunBroker.com : 930424280

Thanks!

Walt
Walt,
I actually picked up a 3 band 53 this morning from a fellow forum member but thank you for your offer

I had one of these 1:48 twist rifles and have a special mould for it , It is quite different in looks and length than the standard mould for the 1:72 twist rifles .The mould is not for sale . With the correct bullet the 1:48 can be a real shooter .

My last civil war event was in 1998....135th Gettysburg. I had been doing it for about 10 years. YEs, you will want to have a standard 3 band musket/rifled musket that accepts a socket bayonet. Even though you might find documentation that YOUR original; unit had some 2 banders, your Modern unit may still want everyone to be uniform. If you can join and use a LOANER 2 bander until your get a 3 bander, discuss with your unit. Main reason for the three bander is two rank firing. If a soldier in the rear rank is using a 2 bander, the muzzle will be very near the right ear of the front rank soldier. It is LOUD, even with blanks, not to mention the flash. Otherwise, you would be permantaely in the front rank and it isn;t always going to be that way.

I had a Euroarms 1853 Pattern Enfield 3 bander that i bought in 1983 for $252. That was a LOT of money for me then, as I was in college. It saw 10 years of CW field use and some live firing. Pic is from 135th G-Burg.

Attachments

• JP_Period_Tintype.jpg
    JP_Period_Tintype.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back