• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parker Conicals Fall Down Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley268

32 Cal
Reaction score
I need some suggestions. I have my father's custom .54 percussion rifle and plan on deer hunting with it this year. It is firing .535 round balls with a patch beautifully. However, I would like to use the 535gr Parker conicals I have, but they just fall down the barrel. I made a cross-shaped patch and lubed it for the conical. It "worked", but I basically had to hammer it down. What would be some of your suggestions? Thanks

I understand that you want to use the conical bullets. I don't think they will outperform the round ball on deer.

You could paper patch the conical bullets. Use just enough paper so the conical bullets are a slip fit with your lubrication. There re threads on the forum on paper patching conical bullets.

Find a flat wooden surface to put a file on. One at a time, roll bullets back and forth on the bottom file with another file (bullet is between the two files), basically adding a knurl to the OD of your bullet. Will take some practice, but it will increase the diameter of your undersized bullets.

Answer here is simple. Either get larger conicals OR get kinky and delve into the dark arts of paper patching.

I need some suggestions. I have my father's custom .54 percussion rifle and plan on deer hunting with it this year. It is firing .535 round balls with a patch beautifully. However, I would like to use the 535gr Parker conicals I have, but they just fall down the barrel. I made a cross-shaped patch and lubed it for the conical. It "worked", but I basically had to hammer it down. What would be some of your suggestions? Thanks

Asking out of curiosity. Could you say the diameter of the bullets and powder / charge weight you tried?
I couldn't turn up a picture of a 535 grain .54 caliber Parker but would love to see one of those too.
I did find this website.
http://www.alaska.net/~fourwair/parkerprodtest06.htm

He may mean. pritchett bullet. It was a smooth side minie designed to be shot paper patched.

Back