• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pardon me, but here I go again...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got some toy caps from cabelas. Parris brand. Tried them on my NAA companion. Plactic strips of caps that are in strips. Trimmed them off with a nipper into singles. Not strong enough to ignite but enough oomph to send powder out the barrel upon further examination on this particular gun the nipples are screwed in by a hex wrench. It leaves enough room to trickle powder into the nipple and the caps press on flush. Gives it just a little more bite to set the charge off. Yes it will work and it,s a PITA for sure but again it keeps things going without taxing your cap supply. Am I cucco for cocao puffs or just too much time on my hands,,,,,suggestions welcome....

You're thinking! Thinking_Face_Emoji-Emoji-Island.jpg

Got some toy caps from cabelas. Parris brand. Tried them on my NAA companion. Plactic strips of caps that are in strips. Trimmed them off with a nipper into singles. Not strong enough to ignite but enough oomph to send powder out the barrel upon further examination on this particular gun the nipples are screwed in by a hex wrench. It leaves enough room to trickle powder into the nipple and the caps press on flush. Gives it just a little more bite to set the charge off. Yes it will work and it,s a PITA for sure but again it keeps things going without taxing your cap supply. Am I cucco for cocao puffs or just too much time on my hands,,,,,suggestions welcome....
Depends on whether you are trying to fix something that is not broken.

I have been using the plastic toy caps for years. At the moment if you can find them here a Tin of #11 CCI percussion caps are selling for $35 compared to 72 Toy caps for $1.
Try digging out the white insert with a pin and sprinkle a small amount of black powder into each cap. Press lightly with a match and then give them a good spray with hair spray. Let dry. Now about as good a #11 CCI caps.
As for corrosion I clean my guns within 2 days of using so have never had any issue with corrosion what so ever.

I have been using the plastic toy caps for years. At the moment if you can find them here a Tin of #11 CCI percussion caps are selling for $35 compared to 72 Toy caps for $1.
Try digging out the white insert with a pin and sprinkle a small amount of black powder into each cap. Press lightly with a match and then give them a good spray with hair spray. Let dry. Now about as good a #11 CCI caps.
As for corrosion I clean my guns within 2 days of using so have never had any issue with corrosion what so ever.
thanks

you would need something to set the powder off in the cap correct? Are you just saying add powder to the cap and seal with hair spray?

FEP's Field Expedient Procedures are never a bad thing to think up, test, and determine effectiveness. For the young folk, MacGyvering something is the same thing. :thumb:

LD

I have used the plastic caps that are molded in a ring for certain cap guns and cut them into individual caps. Seems to work but I could see machining a proper nipple just for them seeing how percussion caps are so expensive now.

I could see machining a proper nipple just for them
That sounds like a great idea!
I couldn't do it, but I would buy one if someone were to sell them.
When at an historical event, I set up my cleaning box, and clean my rifle.
I get all kinds of interest, which really surprised me.
When I explain how a perc rifle works to kids, I use the Red Caps to explain a perc cap, and they understand.

Another reenactor explained to the kids how the fulminate of mercury, or whatever, in the cap sets off the charge. They looked bored. So, I try to use terms that the kids understand. They know what the Red Caps are, and understand my explanation.

I have used the plastic caps that are molded in a ring for certain cap guns and cut them into individual caps. Seems to work but I could see machining a proper nipple just for them seeing how percussion caps are so expensive now.
There was a guy on EBAY selling nipples for toy caps. I bought one set to try out and they work just fine. Unfortunately I can't seem to find them again.

you would need something to set the powder off in the cap correct? Are you just saying add powder to the cap and seal with hair spray?
With the bought toy plastic caps. Inside the plastic cap is a small amount of priming compound, usualy not very much but enough to make a crack when fired. On top of the compound is placed a small disk of paper like compound. Pry the disk out and you will see the priming compound left inside the cap, it`s usually just to one side of the cap and doesn`t even spread right across the inside. Sprinkle a small amount of black powder into each cap ( I just hold powder between my fingertips). Press in the powder gentally and hold in place with a spray of hair spray. Let fully dry. Hope that makes sence.
I use the toy caps on all my percussion guns with #11 Nipples with great success. Now days I really just use the real percussion caps for serious hunting and use the toy caps for everything else including small game and Goat shooting,

Last edited:
Back