• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parched corn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkskinner

50 Cal.
Reaction score
In a day or two it will be ready to cook :grin: My taste buds can't wait.
DSCN1341.jpg

got about 4 dozen ears trimmed off n drying in the dehydrator as we speak, hope I don't lose power with this dang storm before its good n dry. Ought to have about two quart bags plum full If I'm thinking right. Good stuff added into so many dishs. Dried corn Indian pudding is great with yer own home dried stuff.Also dried a couple butternut squash, amazing how much ya got left after the waters all gone, Don't ned to eat much to get a whole days food down yer gullet.Dried tomatos are next n then apples.

Remember, oil will go rancid over time. Use very little if you plan to store the parched corn for a long time.

Here's a method that works well for me.
---------------------------------

First, peel back the husks on the ears of corn and hang them until they are dry. I hang them from the rafters in the garage as it stays nice and warm there.

After the corn is dry, I remove it from the cob and place it in a tray and let it dry a little more. At this point you have "dried corn".

You can stop now and save the corn until you are on a trip and parch it then or parch the corn ahead of time at home.

To "parch" the corn, cover the bottom of a cast iron skillet with a single layer of corn and roast it (shaking occasionally) until the kernels swell up and take on a slight brown toasted color.

That's it! You now have parched corn. You can eat it as is or throw it in soup or powder it to thicken soup or stew.

Heck Swampy, I can get ya all the dang corncobs ya want. Ya shoulda said sumpthin'. Ya want white or red? Some of both? How many? There's more corn in Illinois than you can shake a stick at!

I'll bet one could use corn cobs as a packing material around glass bottles for shipping :hmm:

Just remember that once it's parched, it will go stale. For long term storage, do not parch, just dry.

Storing your parched corn in the freezer sealed in a freezer bag (good) or seal-a-meal bag (best) between trips will extend its life. I've found that parched corn made from sweet corn goes stale quicker than some made from flint/heirloom corn varieties.

I have found that storing anything in the freezer, for a long time, will pick up moisture.

If you only dry the corn (do not parch), as jbtusa suggested above, it will last a very long time. I've stored dried corn for over a year and then parched it and it came out fine. I store the dried corn in a breathable cloth bag, so moisture will not condense inside.

Having a heck of a time getting this batch dried out. The humidity out side is outrageous, so i put in in the basement with a fan on it. I really don't want to put it in the dehydrator but i might have to.

Claude said:
I have found that storing anything in the freezer, for a long time, will pick up moisture.

If you only dry the corn (do not parch), as jbtusa suggested above, it will last a very long time. I've stored dried corn for over a year and then parched it and it came out fine. I store the dried corn in a breathable cloth bag, so moisture will not condense inside.

True enough. Now I only use the seal-a-meal bags which have the air evacuated and the bag sealed. Don't really like using the zipper bags as they just don't work all that well.

My dried corn is stored in a metal tin on my countertop. It will stay there until used up.

Question: when i try to parch my dried sweet corn, it just lays there and turns brown, no swelling whatsoever. Kinda like chewing gravel. Am i doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for any help!

Ft jeff, I hate to answer a question with a question but are you useing corn dried whole on the cob or kernels that ya have cut from the cob? If its been cut from the cob the kernal is no longer air tight so to speak n can't build up the inner pressure of a whole kernel. Parched corn is sort a tricky the first few times ya make it, getting the heat right seems to be the hardest. When I make it I do it just the same as when I make pop corn in a pot only there is no oil involved. The pot is dry n no lid so any moisture has a way of getting out. Many types of corn (from my own experience) doesn't swell alot, ya just gotta keep an eye on it, stir it some n let it brown just shy of where ya want it to be, residual heat will finish the job. Try several different ways with just a small amount of corn until ya get the hang of it. The heat kind of brings out a nutty flavor much like corn nuts ya get at a carnival.The heat also makes the corn a bit easier to chew, kind a makes it crunchy instead of hard as nails. You can use it just the way it is but don't be afraid to add it to stews, soups, or even just heat it up awhile in water by itself. Kind of an aquired taste but it will give ya all ya need to stay alive for a spell on the trail. Hope this helped some---just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Birdman said:
Ft jeff, I hate to answer a question with a question but are you useing corn dried whole on the cob or kernels that ya have cut from the cob? If its been cut from the cob the kernal is no longer air tight so to speak n can't build up the inner pressure of a whole kernel.
This was going to be my question as well. This is a common mistake that people make. I've even heard of people trying to make Parched Corn using frozen "cut corn".

You can make a variety of things from different forms of corn, but you can only make "Parched Corn" from whole dried kernels.

Back