• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Weight or Shooter.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks New-In-Box compared to the rusty zombie ASM I resurrected years ago. Had to soak it in Ed’s Red for two months to get the nipples out.
Even with a “dog knot” in the barrel it shot great groups with15 grains 3fff
Enjoy!

.44 cal you recommend 15 gr of 3 F. I cant remember what we shot in it back in the day, seems like it was 25 or 30 gr. But that could have been the ole Jukar Kentucky pistol we had.

Last edited:
This was in my Dads attic for probably 30 years. I thought it was stolen or lost while I was in the CORPs didn’t think much about it. Figured I Would break it down and see how it looks. Not that great. Barrel has some pitting in it. Cylinder as well but not as bad. Externally not that bad at all. So what say you all! Keep shooting it or keep it as a “Cool Paper Weight “? It’s an 1851 sheriff in .44/.454.

View attachment 76763View attachment 76764View attachment 76765View attachment 76766View attachment 76767View attachment 76768View attachment 76769View attachment 76770
No reason a paper weight can't be loaded and lethal. Unless you have crumb crushers and rug rats around.

This was in my Dads attic for probably 30 years. I thought it was stolen or lost while I was in the CORPs didn’t think much about it. Figured I Would break it down and see how it looks. Not that great. Barrel has some pitting in it. Cylinder as well but not as bad. Externally not that bad at all. So what say you all! Keep shooting it or keep it as a “Cool Paper Weight “? It’s an 1851 sheriff in .44/.454.

View attachment 76763View attachment 76764View attachment 76765View attachment 76766View attachment 76767View attachment 76768View attachment 76769View attachment 76770
An old Armi San Marco! Clean it up, get it shootable, then decide. You can shoot it, then when not at the Range, use as the proverbial paperweight! Neat find!

The ASM's were good guns. I have several. They all function nicely. For everyday range shooting, 15-20 grns of FFF real black, a grease cookie or a felt wad or both with a .454 rb is heaven to shoot. Enjoy it because it belonged to your father.
DL

As long as the cylinder is lining up correctly with the barrel (in battery) and the clearance between the front of the cylinder and the back of the barrel is correct, go get it! Never over load an old gun. The military charge was designed to not only be effective but to insure the reliability of the weapon. Staying within the recommended powder load and loading procedure will always produce the most reliable and consistent results.
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back