• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Weight or Shooter.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was in my Dads attic for probably 30 years. I thought it was stolen or lost while I was in the CORPs didn’t think much about it. Figured I Would break it down and see how it looks. Not that great. Barrel has some pitting in it. Cylinder as well but not as bad. Externally not that bad at all. So what say you all! Keep shooting it or keep it as a “Cool Paper Weight “? It’s an 1851 sheriff in .44/.454.

75B5682E-319B-4BE7-8B2B-FE62518A9F2C.jpeg5BEC4AC1-A2C3-431F-8107-198648EF0C47.jpeg7297D5D4-3EC6-44DD-A3D1-07228995B2EF.jpeg728974E2-FFFA-476D-957D-548E6EA17AEB.jpegE4B1DC3E-FFF3-4A5E-80A8-DC3BA4E42D3A.jpegAB007E4C-88D5-4902-BEF2-5486CC9C414F.jpegEE61B618-EEFD-43D5-B6CD-188B0E1B05DB.jpeg5EC21E97-9FC9-4EA6-98D4-238261667929.jpeg

Completely unsafe to fire in any condition! Immediately send it to me for inspection, testing, and probable destruction. Leave this to experts like myself to ensure your total safety! No charge to you, except postage to my address. Act now!!!!

ADK Bigfoot

Will do, hold your breath In the mean time... might I suggest that you will the possibility of said possible sale to your significant other...

Thanks! 😄

RM

I recently purchased a previously owned Pietta New Model Army that had seen less than perfect care. The bore has some patches of pretty nasty pitting. It is one of the most accurate revolvers I own. You just never know until you try it.

I agree with everyone else, but Bigfoot, send it to me and I'll even pay postage. Just clean it up , stabilize it and
blast away. There are many years of shooting and pleasure left in her. Shooting something your father has
probably shot is priceless , I know I feel a real connection when I shoot my dads firearms.
gunny

Some of the guys on this forum have resurrected some real basket cases. I think your revolver has excellent rehab potential. With regard to the bore, I can tell you my brother has a couple of unmentionable rifles that he acquired with pitted bores. He does some unbelievable shooting with those same rifles at 100 - 200 yards. Way out of my league.

One thing I would recommend inspecting very carefully would be the insides of the chambers, and specifically the web between chambers. If the barrel was badly pitted, this suggests the chambers may have some corrosion as well. Elmer Keith pointed out in his book, Sixguns, that he had seen some old percussion revolvers actually or almost rusted through, between chambers. He suggested this was one cause of chain fires in shooting older guns that had not been well maintained.

I would think a good visual inspection of each chamber with strong light should tell you what you need to know. I'm willing to bet that revolver will clean up and shoot just fine. It may have some "character," but to me, that just adds to the appeal.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back