• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Shot Cups?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob J

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone ever use paper shot cups? Read about 'em in a back issue of "Muzzle Blasts". I don't want to use plastic cups as its not really "in the spirit". Doin' OK without cups in my 10 ga. double, but if I could get 5 or 10 more yards...

I use them in my .62/.20ga...they make for outstanding long range patterns...8 #6 pellets in a coke can at 40yds (a 2.5" x 4" target)...just need to get a turkey head/neck in front of me

40 yards! That's the kind of pattern I'd like to get with my 10 ga. Where can you get (or how do you make) paper shot cups?

PM your Email address and I'll Email you an attachment that is a writeup and my notes about it

Anyone ever use paper shot cups?

I use free coin wrappers from the bank... :winking:

It's a strong paper, I bet a nickle wrapper will do the trick in your 10 guage, I use penny wrappers in my bess for pre-measured shot cups...

I've thought of rolling some printer paper around a 5/8" dowel for my 20ga. I figure, cut out a small piece of paper, wrap it around the dowel, slap on some Elmer's, then fold up one end just like a coin tube. 5/8" is .625, so it should work in a 20. I might just have to give it a try! :thumbsup:

A 5/8 dowel is a bit too big for a 20 guage. You will need to turn or file it down to about .580 or .590 to allow for the thickness of your paper. This will depend a bit on the actual bore dia you have and the thickness of the paper you use. BJH

Musketman-
Do you just cut the excess paper off (in other words measured shot filled to the brim). What kind of wads over powder and over shot?

Musketman-
Do you just cut the excess paper off (in other words measured shot filled to the brim). What kind of wads over powder and over shot?

What I do is fold the end over (like you would do a coin in the wrapper) and glue in place...

Fill with premeasured amount of shot and trim the tube to around 1/4 inch above the shot...

Slip in an over shot card and fold the tube down the rest of the way to seal it...

A 5/8 dowel is a bit too big for a 20 guage. You will need to turn or file it down to about .580 or .590 to allow for the thickness of your paper. This will depend a bit on the actual bore dia you have and the thickness of the paper you use. BJH
You got a point there. I hadn't thought of the paper thickness. I believe, however, that the 5/8" would be perfect for my 16ga.(.665) pistol.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

I'd say the 5/8 dowel should work fine in 16 guage for a wrapper mandrel. Depending on who you listen to, your shot cups should finish up somewhat less than bore dia. or be bore dia. You will have to expiriment a bit to see what your gun likes. As soon as I get a chance between deer hunting seasons I plan to work with my 16 guage with paper shot cups/cartridges. Just don't depend on your shot cups to open up if the front end is folded shut. I got some neat rectangular holes in my patterning board from that expiriment some time ago :: BJH

I use yellow post-it note paper rolled around a 1/2" dowl with a couple layers of scotch tape around the dowl, so the finished cup is barely .010"-.020" from filling the bore of my .62cal smoothbore.

To prevent the "slug" effect, I found I had to trim the top of the paper even with the top of the shot charge...then they'd disintegrate within a very few feet of the muzzle and work properly & reliably...any higher than that, and the OS card seems to crimp the excess over the top of the shot and it carries to the target as a slug like you mentioned.

Terrific long range patterns...eight #6 pellets into a coke can at 40yds

I use 24 ga. wads and dowel and 1 1/8 oz. shot fold over and glue 1/2 " paper on each end . Get good patterns and have never had one fail to open. Regarding carrying them, I just carry them loose in my bag.

I made up a dowl and started making some cups. They are comming out right at .592, is this ok or to loose? Not sure if I should wrap more tape on the dowl or not.

It depends on the actual bore of your gun. That, and the only way to know for sure would be to try some of them and see how they work. My bore is supposed to be .625 according to Track of the Wolfs spec, but mic's out to .612.

Your right I should have measured my bore and said what it was. I have one of Tracks own 36" 20ga that I hope to make a Turkey gun soon with. It mics out at .612 too. Got some guys here with the National Wild Turkey Federation that want to take me Turkey huntin but I don't want to do it with my shotgun, really want to try it with a flintlock. So I need to learn all this stuff.

Latest posts

Back