• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Paper or steel ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roundball 54

40 Cal
Reaction score
Excluding sighting in or developing a load , what kind of targets do you like to shoot best , paper targets , steel targets or other types ?

Depends on what I am shooting.

BP pistol has been paper only but then Ive only had enough powder to get hooked. Imagine it wont end up any different from the centerfire pistols.

Rimfire rifle I like small visible hit things like tylenols or tums at 50 yards. Dum Dum suckers are good too :). Golf balls get interesting at 50-200 yards and 1/5 scale sillywets from a bench at 100-200 yards is a challenge

Rimfire pistol is always paper. Centerfire rifle is fairly split between paper and steel as is cf pistol.

The machine guns (good friend is a stamp collector) are almost always paper but occasionally steel.

Steel Zoo Critters.
Never paper...too boring.

Critters.jpg

We typically run our matches 5 shots on paper, 1 shot on steel (Bonus DING!) for 2 strings. Third string is 5 on paper, 3 on steel for a 20 ball match.

Paper, steel, and old bowling pins.

I sight in using paper targets, but for fun I shoot steel targets that I made. I bought the clangers from Walmart, and made a frame from old rebar and some chains I had in my tool shed.

Our club always has old bowling pins hanging on strings. They're a lot of fun to make dance.

I mix it up, but steel is my go too. Many farm stores have these bouncing rubber targets, those are cool too. The rubber reseals so you get a few shots out of them. Small bore only, usually

Excluding sighting in or developing a load , what kind of targets do you like to shoot best , paper targets , steel targets or other types ?

SO..., I heard all the pro's from my son about steel. But they weren't cheap, plus I'd have to get a length of chain for each and two C-clamps for each chain so we could clamp the ends of the chain to the target posts, and thus hang them between the paper target holders at the range.

Fine so we got some, and they would save a lot of down time as we would not be going back and forth taping up old paper targets or putting up new paper targets.

My son had a grand time, and then I tried them....

..., I have to admit I really under estimated the fun of making them ring and swing..., 😄

And there's really no way with soft lead or even lead alloy that I'm ever going to wear these out...

LD

I shoot paper for sighting in, But prefer moving or "exploding" targets for enjoyable shooting. water ballons, flour filled ballons, charcol bickets, oppsicle sticks, cards,etc.
my range outlawed EXPLODING TARGETS, be cause the paper targets on the back stop caught fire and started a brush fire!.

my range outlawed EXPLODING TARGETS, be cause the paper targets on the back stop caught fire and started a brush fire!.

The knuckleheads that "govern" my local range swapped out a range rule that now outlaws steel because somebody forgot to lock up the Cowboy Steel and a dunderhead found it, used it, and shot holes through it..., but they didn't update the date on the rules (lucky I checked). They tried to pretend "Steel has never been approved except for special matches." I then showed them my photo (love cell phones) of the original range rules. 🤬

So now I have steel to help out folks that occasionally set up BP matches and woods walks...., and private target shoots

LD

Latest posts

Back