• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can tell me a website I can look at that tells you how to load LIVE paper cartridges for my trade musket. All the sites I have found are for blanks. Also does the paper act as the patch or should I patch the ball inside the cartridge. How would you properly load a round from paper? Bite off the end and pour in the powder? Then ram the paper and ball in all at one time?Thanks to all who respond. ::

Yes the paper acts as the patch, no need to add a separate patch. I dip the ball end of the cartridge in a mix of beeswax and parafin to give it some lube when loading. You are correct in biting off the end. At some military type shoots that I have been at, we bit off the end, primed the pan (would not recommend this except that the exercise we were participating in it was proper), poured the remainder of the powder into the barrel. Next I flipped the cartridge over, pushed it in to the top of the ball, tore off the paper and then rammed home. For more speed, don't flip it over, just ram it home, paper and all. You will be surprised at how much accuracy you can using the paper patched ball. Oh, one thing I would recommend, the fouling in the barrel will build up quickly because you are not using a cloth patch, so I would use an undersized ball in the cartridge to aid in loading. We were doing a speed/timed shoot and there was no time to swab between shots. Kinda long winded, but hope this helps some.
NoDeer

No Deer is correct in the instruction of loading. I would only add how much fun this can be and I can see no differance in accuracy from a patched ball. Check out a previous post on making paper cartridges. Good description and pics for rolling the French style or British tied ones.

paper ctg.s are easy- just follow the pictoral directions. The ball is left naked inside. I taper mine so they are easier to find the powder end, and easier to bite off, then stick into the muzzle. By the time the powder has dribbled out of the paper into the bore, I've got the wiping stick out of the thimbles and I'm ready to ram the whole thing home. The paper wads up between the powder and ball, creating a wad to prevent blowby. My ctgs. are fairly snug, and require a good push to seat. They are generally as accurate as patched ball.
frencart.JPG

ctg.%20pouch%203.JPG

Thank you all very much for the info. on the paper cartidges. My husband was wonderin how to make them for his brown bess. He was really excited to see the information that was in here. Now he is ready to give them a try. Thank you again.

Back