• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, Merry Christmas! I have a few questions about making paper cartridges for a smoothbore. I have a 16 gauge that I want to make paper cartridges for. Any tips/tricks that you guys have experienced? I would like to be as historically correct as possible. A former kit is out of the question for a 16 gauge I think. Any do's/dont's that you have come across?
My second question is a historical one. Is there any evidence of citizens (ie militia) making their own cartridges at home? I know militia requirements usually called for a nominally "musket sized" bore to accommodate paper cartridges, but would these have ever been home manufactured specific to one man's gun? Thanks!

Apologies mods I just discovered that a thread a few below mine has been discussing paper cartridges in length...The second part (the historical question) still stands though! Thanks

To ensure uniformity, the paper cartridges were assembled by artificers of the artillery unit. Individuals did not make their own cartridges. Cartridges were issued on an as needed basis. Civilians would have had a container (powder horn most likely) of powder, wadding to hold the ball and their own flints. Not much evidence of civilians (or soldiers) making their own paper cartridges.

To ensure uniformity, the paper cartridges were assembled by artificers of the artillery unit. Individuals did not make their own cartridges. Cartridges were issued on an as needed basis. Civilians would have had a container (powder horn most likely) of powder, wadding to hold the ball and their own flints. Not much evidence of civilians (or soldiers) making their own paper cartridges.
Thank you so much! Exactly what I was looking for.

Here in Virginia the militia laws in effect through the 18th century often specify that the militia must have cartridges.

1738 “every footman [as opposed to horsemen in the previous line] shall be furnished with a firelock, musket, or fuzee, well fixed, a bayonet fitted to same, or a cutting sword or cutlass, a cartouch-box, and three cartridges of powder…”
(The same text was used again in 1755. By 1757 the wording was changed to “three charges of powder,” and that Act was continued in ‘59. In 1762 it was amended (no change to ammunition requirements), continued in ‘71, and lapsed in ‘73. In ‘75 it was updated to require raising companies of riflemen in the western counties.

1777 “every non-commissioned officer and private with a rifle and tomahawk, or good firelock and bayonet, with a pouch and horn, or a cartouch or cartridge box, and with three charges of powder and ball…”

1785 “every non-commissioned officer and private with a good, clean musket carrying an ounce ball, and three feet eight inches long in the barrel, with a good bayonet and iron ramrod well fitted thereto, a cartridge box properly made, to contain and secure twenty cartridges…”

Magungo, you need a former? What size ball?

Jay

Last edited:
I actually shot some round ball paper cartridges out of my 10 bore today, which I made using a Brown Bess template with just string, no glue. I also made some shot cartridges using just a 5" paper square with glue. For speed of loading they worked well, but I got the impression that down range performance might not be optimum at longer ranges. They didn't seem seal over the powder as well as I would like. More experimenting to follow. FWIW

My second question is a historical one. Is there any evidence of citizens (ie militia) making their own cartridges at home? I know militia requirements usually called for a nominally "musket sized" bore to accommodate paper cartridges, but would these have ever been home manufactured specific to one man's gun? Thanks!

Well, sometimes in Maryland the militia commander was issued materials, and authorized to pay people to assemble cartridges. Sometimes the commander was issued supplies and told to make the supplies into cartridges, and sometimes they got ready made cartridges

June 1st 1780

We therefore direct you to give Orders to the Select Militia of your County to march immediately to George Town on Patowmack the Place of Rendezvous and there to remain Subject to our further orders. And we also request you to order all the Militia in your County who can be well armed and accoutred to hold themselves in readiness to march at a moments warning.
[they have ammo if they can immediately march]

Circular to the Lieutenants of Charles Prince Georges Montgomery Frederick Washington, With this Addition to the Lieu' of Montgomery. ..., As the Enemy under Lord Cornwallis are making as rapid Progress thro' the State of Virginia, and in all Probability will invade this State, it is absolutely necessary that we should be as well prepared as possible to receive them on an Invasion, we therefore direct you will have all the Arms in your County immediately repaired and put in good Order, and have 20,000 Cartridges immediately made up, for which Purposes you will hire as many Hands as you may deem necessary. You will send directly to this place one thousand weight of Lead and six barrels of musquet Powder to be delivered to Mr Shaw. We request you to make a full return of Military Stores in your Charge as soon as possible.

Thursday 22d March 1781

That the Armourer deliver to Colo Elijah Robosson five pound of powder and twenty pounds of Shott or lead for the use of the Militia of Ann Arundel County and to be accounted for. That Capt. Phileman Warfield
[this was to be made into musket rounds] ..., deliver to Capt Deale two Chests of Arms No 6 & 7 containing sixty stand of Arms [60 muskets w/bayonets] and No 2 containing fifty nine Cartridges Boxes and Bayonet Belts, also six hundred Muskett Cartridges and one hundred and twenty Flints to be delivered over to Colo John Weems for the use of the Militia of Ann Arundel County.

LD

Well, sometimes in Maryland the militia commander was issued materials, and authorized to pay people to assemble cartridges. Sometimes the commander was issued supplies and told to make the supplies into cartridges, and sometimes they got ready made cartridges

June 1st 1780

We therefore direct you to give Orders to the Select Militia of your County to march immediately to George Town on Patowmack the Place of Rendezvous and there to remain Subject to our further orders. And we also request you to order all the Militia in your County who can be well armed and accoutred to hold themselves in readiness to march at a moments warning.
[they have ammo if they can immediately march]

Circular to the Lieutenants of Charles Prince Georges Montgomery Frederick Washington, With this Addition to the Lieu' of Montgomery. ..., As the Enemy under Lord Cornwallis are making as rapid Progress thro' the State of Virginia, and in all Probability will invade this State, it is absolutely necessary that we should be as well prepared as possible to receive them on an Invasion, we therefore direct you will have all the Arms in your County immediately repaired and put in good Order, and have 20,000 Cartridges immediately made up, for which Purposes you will hire as many Hands as you may deem necessary. You will send directly to this place one thousand weight of Lead and six barrels of musquet Powder to be delivered to Mr Shaw. We request you to make a full return of Military Stores in your Charge as soon as possible.

Thursday 22d March 1781

That the Armourer deliver to Colo Elijah Robosson five pound of powder and twenty pounds of Shott or lead for the use of the Militia of Ann Arundel County and to be accounted for. That Capt. Phileman Warfield
[this was to be made into musket rounds] ..., deliver to Capt Deale two Chests of Arms No 6 & 7 containing sixty stand of Arms [60 muskets w/bayonets] and No 2 containing fifty nine Cartridges Boxes and Bayonet Belts, also six hundred Muskett Cartridges and one hundred and twenty Flints to be delivered over to Colo John Weems for the use of the Militia of Ann Arundel County.

LD

That’s awesome! I’m not aware of similar orders here, but so many of our records were lost in 1781 and 1865 that I’m surprised that we know anything about anything!
Jay

Back